Chicks saved by Deer!

Zenbirder

Songster
12 Years
May 3, 2007
New Mexico
I came across the meadow a few minutes ago and noticed three deer acting strange. There were a couple of my young hens nearby acting fine. Got a bit closer and realized they had my cat pinned under a small scrub oak! He is supposed to be in the back yard, but a couple of times a year he manages to haul his 14 lb. declawed body over the "cat proof" fence. YEA DEER!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

The deer like the chicks, I have seen them try to sniff them, the closest I have seen is about 8 inches before the chick scooted a couple of feet away. Seems to me deer and goats are really about the same thing!

Our 2 cats do a half-hearted chicken chase every so often, but never with serious intent. Both cats and peeps get free play in the yard for an hour or so every evening. No one is free range without supervision.
And I'm glad, because a hawk circled our house for an hour yesterday! I got home from work and watched it hanging like a kite above our yard, almost always facing our little coop...

I am so fortunate that all my animals get along with everyone. It has always been that way no matter what I have here. Horses,chickens,cats, dogs everyone is out there when we are and never any problems. My little dog might chase the young chickens for a minute or so but only in play. Most days it is like a zoo!!!

Wow! I didn't know deer did things like that. I wish you could have gotten pictures. I wonder if they would protect them from coons?

How cool!!
cool.png
I wish we had deer around here...I've seen them in the back fields, but they never come close enough that I could see them from my house.

Thats cool.
The only problem is they aren't around all the time.

We have deer roam around the yard but I've never seen them anywhere close to my chickens
idunno.gif

l_0e2eef29d99e37869784f9e136d5a0db.jpg

Back
Top Bottom