Chicks seem werid

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also go to a Dollar Store and pick up a plastic storage tote for around 8 bucks. You also don't have to wait for shipping. You can get it right now and have them setup today.

I know it is redundant to even mention it now, but for future readers: Have your setup ready before you get the chicks. Do your research and know how to take care of an animal before purchasing it.

You could also go to a Dollar Store and pick up a plastic storage tote for around 8 bucks. You also don't have to wait for shipping. You can get it right now and have them setup today.

I know it is redundant to even mention it now, but for future readers: Have your setup ready before you get the chicks. Do your research and know how to take care of an animal before purchasing it.
Oh yeah that would work too or at Walmart! And yes! For sure!

Got mine at Target. I used it for 3 chicks until they were old enough to go out into the coop (about 5 weeks).
Screenshot_20210306-131702~2.png

How about a drawer like from a dresser or in the kitchen ? Or just turn the lamp off. I never used a heat lamp with my babies. I just kept enough they cuddled to keep warm. They did fine. I even did that with the babies I ordered in november since i kept them inside the house. I used a small dog crate. I used a cage. I used a tote. I used carboard boxes. I used a drawer for clothes from under the waterbed.. Did not have them under the bed.

How about a drawer like from a dresser or in the kitchen ? Or just turn the lamp off. I never used a heat lamp with my babies. I just kept enough they cuddled to keep warm. They did fine. I even did that with the babies I ordered in november since i kept them inside the house. I used a small dog crate. I used a cage. I used a tote. I used carboard boxes. I used a drawer for clothes from under the waterbed.. Did not have them under the bed.
They need a heat lamp. When chicks huddle together it means they are too cold, this is a fact. I'm very surprised your chicks made it, but I'm glad they did. Where they day-olds? Or ween offs
I suppose if you live in a really hot place it might work, but still - not providing any heat at all is not a great idea. This is why chicks either need a broody hen or a heating pad\lamp.

Last edited:
They need a heat lamp. When chicks huddle together it means they are too cold, this is a fact. I'm very surprised your chicks made it, but I'm glad they did. Where they day-olds? Or ween offs
They do need a heat source but NOT necessarily a heat lamp. In fact, I have never once used a heat lamp and I’ve had like 7 different batches of chicks, quail, etc. now. I used MHP for the first two and then switched to a heat plate for the rest and one batch was broody raised and I far prefer all of those to the heat lamp. Heat lamps stress them out having light on them constantly. Plus the fire hazard and numerous other things. Now, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend no heat source like that person was suggesting BUT they said they were inside the house and houses are generally quite warm so I’m sure they were fine. When my broody hatched chicks, they hardly ever went under her except at night. They were fine. Granted, it was mid summer but still. She had them out free ranging at like 3 days old. Earlier than I would have done it but they were the healthiest and happiest chicks I have ever had.

Also I’ve even heard of people making like a tube with wool or fleece strips for them to snuggle with or even just plain huddle boxes, etc. too. There’s lots of creative ways to provide heat.

Here's some advice to the OP and everyone else: Be prepared for something. Anything could go wrong. Better to be overprepared than to be underprepared.

On a side note, I feel very bad for the poor chicks that are probably all dead now. The brooder that the OP showed as the one that they would buy is quite large for a couple of chicks and is not worth buying unless you have a grand quantity of chicks. All that the OP would need for their chicks is a plastic bin which is easily acquirable at the dollar store or walmart as others have said.

All that aside I REALLY like this idea of using a drawer. OP get a drawer from your kitchen or your dresser and set them up a temporary brooder in it. it's the least you can do to temporarily get them out of that bucket.

Also I’ve even heard of people making like a tube with wool or fleece strips for them to snuggle with or even just plain huddle boxes, etc. too. There’s lots of creative ways to provide heat.
Also a good idea!🥰

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom