Chicks sharing deep bedding coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frithest, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    We got fertile eggs for our broody hen and in a couple of days should have chicks. We are going to trust that her excellent mothering will continue through the hatch. My question is how to handle things after that. Our four girls are in a large aviary type coop with lots of free ranging. I figured I would section off one end of the coop as a brooder until the chicks go back to the farm the eggs came from, but we are using the deep bedding method, I.e. the floor of the coop is NOT clean. There is plenty of poop in there but it is clean enough for us to walk on and not smelly. I am assuming that, even tho none of our flock have ever been sick, there are probably germs in the bedding that might harm the chicks. Like coccidiosis. Should I put them in a Box in the coop? I. Am thinking a box with a hole in one side for mom to go in and out should work for a week or two. Thoughts? Suggestions? I am in WA state where it is still freezing at night but I expect that mom will keep the babies warm?

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    This is a hard question because I don't use this method lol. Personally, I would let nature take it's course, let the hen do her duty although it is hard to sit and watch. The mom will keep the babies at a perfect temp although maybe for the younger stages of their life you could use the box although then once you take them out they may be more prone to getting sick because they were not exposed to all those wonderful things at and early age. Sorry for not an exact answer because I really think it's your and the hens call. If you've never had a broody hen before then maybe you want to try the box to see how everything reacts or you can let the hen do what the hen does ;)
    In nature she wouldn't say "Oooh.. now I need a little box for my babes," she'd hatch them and raise them right their in the nest ;)

QP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by