chicks show no interest in treats

My chicks didn't eat treats at first unless I minced them into tiny little bites. Then I would hold it in my hands and stay very still. Eventually, they would come and check it out and try it. I think the small bites helps them learn it's food. Now they run when they see me to see what I might have for them!

EVERYONE IS CORRECT! Your chicks are not defective Try using chopsticks, toss some treats on the ground & "peck" at it with the chopsticks, sort of like Mama would do. I got some 8wks olds that learned real fast the noise of freeze dried mealworms in a plastic cottage cheese container meant.....Took a few times & now they come a running with a few shakes! One watches my every move, it I have the container in my hand she's my shadow. Fun!

As a first time chicken mom I had the same issue.
What worked for me was taking some of the babies crumble and wet it, let it sit for a minute and then I scoop some out on my finger and put it in front of them. Then I leave the dish. They will then eat it. After doing this twice the babies now run to my hand and nibble on anything that is in my hand.
Next I gave them a quarter of an apple boy was that funny to watch. Now it's their favorite snack.

Give it time they will want them soon enough. Maybe you can try sprinkling some of their feed outside of their feeder in their bedding. Mine love that. Mine also like it when I pull a clump of weed grass out of the garden with dirt, roots and all. They peck at it, eat it and even play games with it. I went to a local pet store and bought mine some small crickets. They loved chasing them down and eating them.

Back
Top Bottom