Chicks sleeping a lot?

silkiechicklover

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
I'm a new chick mum and I just got some week old Silkie chicks. I was a bit concerned because my chicks where laying with their necks stretched out and panting. So I moved the lamp a bit farther away they seem to be happier with this, no panting. However- they are still laying in odd positions and though they peep every once and awhile they seem to be rather quiet and sleepy. Not walking about. Is this normal? Nowhere really talks about how much baby chickens sleep- or what positions they sleep in! Does anyone know?
Help!

-The worried new mum

I hope someone with more experience can answer this for you, but I do know that baby chicks do sleep alot......they have periods of being active, eating, drinking and resting. If your chicks are huddled all together in a corner, they are probably cold......if spread apart, they are probably to warm. IMO I would makes sure you keep the temps right for the right age, for healthy happy chicks. To keep your chicks warm you need to provide them with a heat source. This can be as simple as a 100 watt light bulb in a reflective clamp style lamp from a hardware store, or an infrared reptile heat bulb also work very well (my recommendation). Chicks need this warmth 24/7 until their downy fluff is replaced with feathers (which can take up to two months). The newly hatched need a temperature between 90 and 100 degrees, and each week this can be reduced by approximately 5 degrees or so. Good luck!

Does this look like your chicks ?

15239_chics_009.jpg

Yep, they sleep alot and in very strange and wierd posititons.

NO TO WORRY !!

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with the other posts. They sleep, eat and poop. I don't understand how they can sleep in some of the posititions that they do.

Thanks for your support! They seem a little bit better now- they have pecked around and seem to like their new home more now
big_smile.png
I feel much better knowing they are okay sleeping in such odd positions!

Hello Silkiechicklover and
welcome-byc.gif

You're doing all the things that will insure success with your chickens -- research, observation, & asking questions.

It seems that like all new babies, chicks need to sleep a LOT. They do an incredible amount of growing in such a short amount of time, they must need a lot of sleep. And it is really alarming when they pass out in odd positions, it looks like early morning in a fraternity house. As long as they're also spending time being active & eating they should be all right.

Since I live in sunny South Florida I keep my chicks under a light during the day for only the first week, but under a light at night for a few months. I don't bother with a thermometer and trying to bring the temp down 5 degrees each week, I just give them enough room to move closer/farther from the heat and observe their behavior. But you might want to measure the temp in your brooder just to see if it might be too hot/cool for your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom