Chicks Toe Bent Back

lydiagirl99

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Michigan (By The Thumb)
So, I have 3 chicks right now and one of them I can't usually get my hands on. Well, today I got a hold of him and noticed one of his toe(s) were bent back. I don't know if maybe he broke it and it just healed up that way or what happened. He doesn't seem to be in pain and doesn't hardly limp, if any. Just wanted to know if you guys think I should try and correct it somehow or if he'll be fine growing up like that.
Also, just wanted some input on why he has two nails on one toe. Thank you ! :)

Normal Foot.

And this is the foot with the toe(s).

How old is he? It's hard to tell from just the feet but unless he's less than a week old you can't really correct it. I have a hen I got with crooked toes (way worse than your guy) but she does just fine. It's usually caused by and overcrowded brooder. If you got him from somewhere with tons of chicks in one brooder I'd suspect that. Vitamins never hurt though.
As far as the two nails on one toe, it's a common defect in birds that have 5 toes. Sometimes they end up with extra toes, extra nails, all kinds of weird deformitys. Nothing to be concerned about unless you want to breed him. He just gets to be special :)

Thank you guys so much ! and nope ! He came right from my backyard. I got some silkie eggs from a breeder and let my broody hen hatch them out. They've had PLEENTTYY of space (much more than needed) so I know that wouldn't have been the problem. They got to hangout in the chicken yard with mama since day 1. Wish I had checked more to keep up with it, though. He's 5 weeks old
hit.gif
. You did say your girl has done just fine, though.. I'm thinking about just letting him live life. Might try some vitamin water, but he seems to be doing alright.. I just didn't know if over time as his feet grew if it'd start to irratate him. Glad to hear your girl does well with it.
love.gif

Thank you guys so much ! and nope ! He came right from my backyard. I got some silkie eggs from a breeder and let my broody hen hatch them out. They've had PLEENTTYY of space (much more than needed) so I know that wouldn't have been the problem. They got to hangout in the chicken yard with mama since day 1. Wish I had checked more to keep up with it, though. He's 5 weeks old :hit . You did say your girl has done just fine, though.. I'm thinking about just letting him live life. Might try some vitamin water, but he seems to be doing alright.. I just didn't know if over time as his feet grew if it'd start to irratate him. Glad to hear your girl does well with it.:love

If I were you I'd let him live his life in his own special way. My girl is a silkie mix with 5 toes as well and her 3 main toes on one foot, and 2 on the other are twisted completely sideways. She walks awkwardly and can't grip a roost but it makes her more endearing. They can live perfectly happy lives with crooked toes. You may just have to trim his nails for him if he isn't able to wear them down on his own. My Charlotte just loves her monthly pedicure :) He probably got stepped on or got it caught in something, or else was just born that way. Either way it's nothing to be concerned about

If I were you I'd let him live his life in his own special way. My girl is a silkie mix with 5 toes as well and her 3 main toes on one foot, and 2 on the other are twisted completely sideways. She walks awkwardly and can't grip a roost but it makes her more endearing. They can live perfectly happy lives with crooked toes. You may just have to trim his nails for him if he isn't able to wear them down on his own. My Charlotte just loves her monthly pedicure
smile.png
He probably got stepped on or got it caught in something, or else was just born that way. Either way it's nothing to be concerned about
He probably got stepped on :( I have 15 other chickens not including him and he was in the yard with them. While they have plenty of space, anytime I take food out or give them their watermelon treats, everyone is in one place and he is so little Im guessing that may have happened. Poor baby. But thank you so much for your advice. Makes me feel better about my special little guy.
smile.png

So, I had 3 babies I let Momma Hen hatch. Here they are at 5 weeks old.

This is Potter, the little Cochin (Hopefully a Hen).

This Is Granger, the silkie (Bent Toes, and hopefully a hen, also)

And lat but not least, Weasley, the silkie ( Hopefully Hen)
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom