Chick's umbilical not closed? Sticky green stuff below vent (not poop)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have a BTW jap chick that is almost a week old. I was checking butts earlier (so much fun
sickbyc.gif
) and it looked pasty, so I went to soak it and clean it off. It did have some poop stuck on it, but most of it looks like the yolk or umbilical didn't close all the way? It is very open there, probably the size of a dime. This is huge on a japanese bantam chick! What can I do? I've never had one do that before? It's right below the vent area.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
BTW Japanese chick, about 5 days old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Acts fine

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
It's like the yolk area didn't close all the way?

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Plain water and 20% flock raiser

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
The poop looks normal, but 'under' the poop where the skin should be, it is kind of sticky-runny and green.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Tried to clean pasty-butt, but stopped when I noticed it was different (open).

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No pic

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings mixed with pine pellets and DE

Last edited:
poor baby!! The green doesnt sound good at all!! To me it sounds like it might be infected and oozing
sad.png
If so its not a good thing for a little one...

Hopefully someone with much more knowlege than myself will be able to help you. Good Luck!!!

Can you post a pic? Be very careful with this chick. If it is an open umbilical area, the right hit to that spot can make it open up and his insides fall out. I would keep him alone and on paper towels or something smooth that will not catch this area. The green color makes me think infection.

To me (just my opinion) it sounds like an infection that is too far gone to treat. I would put the baby out of it's suffering. You can try to treat the wound but I'm sure it goes deep inside the abdominal cavity.

Dilute betadine with water do it looks like tea. Sponge it on the bird a few times and let it kill the germs.
GENTLY pat dry and apply neosporin. The kind without pain killer. It's toxic to birds.
This chick needs injectable pennacilin but I don't know how much or what kind. Do you have a vet that you can call? If the vet says that they don't treat birds ask them to take a stab at it anyway because you will lose this guy. Ask him/her what they would prescribe for a kitten and do the math and lower the dosage.

Good luck.

Sorry, been pretty busy today. The poor little thing was laying in the brooder this morning when I went in there. Thank you to all who helped
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom