Chicks Wasting away 1 dead

Purina start and grow doesn't have the same medications in it that just plain chick starter has. Chick starter shouldn't be fed longer than 6 wks according to the label (the medicated kinds, that is) whereas medicated purina start and grow can be fed up to like 20 wks. It's very possible that you may have given them too much of something, which in turn poisoned them. Be very careful with medicated feeds, I've been looking into non-medicated, and I've heard you can give them gamebird/waterfowl starter instead of medicated chick starter. Gamebird starter is non-medicated. When our dogs would get into something that might poison them we gave them charcoal to absorb the toxins, not sure if that can be done with poultry. You should see about whether or not your state offers free necropsy (sp?) for the dead chicken, that way you know for sure what it died from. Here's a nationwide list of vets, alphabetical by state.

http://www.dec.state.ak.us/EH/vet/vetlist.htm

I don't know what you could give them to un-poison them if they are in fact poisoned. The only thing I can suggest is charcoal, but again I don't know if it's safe for poultry. You can buy it at wal-mart. if you get ahold of your state vet you might ask them about the symptoms as well, and I hope they offer free services like my states does!!!

Last edited:
I put him on some electrolytes and put him on a heating pad he looks a little better----the one that died was all black(toes,beak,comb,feathers,eyes,everything)

black??? I think that describes respiratory problems, like he couldn't get enough air. Kinda like when someone's choking they turn blue. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what causes the blackness.

If poisoning is in fact the issue I searched for activated charcoal and birds and it can be given to them. Here's the link to what I was reading, and it actually deals with lead poisoning in birds. The problem is that I don't think charcoal does any good after something is already absorbed into the system, I think it just handles stuff in the stomach prior to digestion.
sad.png
sorry!!!!

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww66eiv.htm

But maybe it's good info for future reference!

the DE is STALL DRY it has pictures of animals on it and does have a picture of a chichen on it. It has DE and clay in it to keep stalls dry. It says safe to use non toxic I will have to go visit the web site to find out more----

I guess I must re-assess my use of medicated feed---

it sure seems I am learning a lot of hard lessons this spring :|

Im off to look at the website

well thanks about the charcoal,,,,,I also heard there is a molasses flush I suppose I could try for the remaining birds,,,,, the little pullet was a melanatonic(sp?) black bird,,,so I am told,,,,pretty hard to find :| sorry about the confusion there

I think I shouldnt feed medicated feed either now

Tiki, I'm sorry about your chicks. Too much of a good thing can be worse than doing nothing sometimes.

It's a hard lesson though, and it's tough when you are trying to help and it backfires...

Quote:
LOL, sorry about that....I've heard of molasses, too....didn't think about that....Sounds like the DE was the right stuff, so it probably wasn't that.....I dunno, I guess do what you can for your survivors and see if your state can do a necropsy... (if that is what it's called LOL) Good luck, and sorry about the loss!!!

Back
Top Bottom