Chicks Wasting away 1 dead

I had a terrible time finding food grade DE. I check'd with several places here locally and they had DE, but not food grade. Finally found it at WILCO in Albany Oregon.

Sorry about your chicks...

First of all, I never use any DE with baby chicks. If they're in the brooder, they dont need it. Stall dry is not food grade DE as far as I know. I put food grade DE IN the feed and you cant do that with Stall Dry or any other type of DE. Medicated feed is not a problem unless you just got a bad batch of feed, maybe moldy or with bug damage. Bugs in feed do contaminate feed. I've returned bags of feed when I found bugs infesting it. Blood in poop could be cocci, could be worms, could be something else, hard to say.

OH WOW So sorry to hear about your babies! I hope you can keep the others alive and well. It's not your fault...I'm sure that happens alot with the DE. I know I will look pretty darn close now before I buy! You gave several out there a helpful lesson too.

it sounds to me the problem was the DE they either digested or breathed it in and sufficated them. thats why the other 2 left are healthy. They must have not got in it.

yes I am sure it was th DE and then on top of it me over medicating them

I never would have figure it out on my own though,
so Thanks

the little boy is now on his way out

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom