Chicks with Issues

Alissabeth

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2019
6000C6DE-A45D-408A-ACE0-4C05145D046D.jpeg 84D98DAB-8477-41AC-8963-242FC0205AEF.jpeg 5C9876E3-3B84-4824-916E-10B13DF4959F.jpeg
1. The photos belong to a chick that was born with an unhealed navel and stargazing. I gave it Nutri Drench for the first few days and the neck issues resolved. I have put it with the others and it is thriving. The only thing is it has very little down in places and this spot on top of its back. It also has a bloated looking stomach (bottom picture after cleaning bum). Vent looks a lot higher than I think it should be. Any ideas on this?

2. I have another chick who seems to be blind. It is 1/2 the size of the others and is constantly crying. I try to feed it mushed food and it takes a few drops but then twists its neck around. Any ideas to help it?

I would probably continue the Nutri Drench for a few more days, or use polyvisol, just for insurance that the neck problem doesn't return. I would also use the vitamins on the little one that may be blind, can't hurt - maybe she would go for some hard boiled egg?
Could the bald spot be where she is resting up against a heat source? Sorry, that's all ideas I have!

The first pic looks like the spine ^ .... Run you finger gently down the back, does the bald spot feel like it's "raised"? Pooper looks fine, to clean a pasty butt, use warm water with Q Tip or warm wet cloth instead of a "bath". Chick will chill, guess you could blow dry on low.

Not understanding about the second chick "twisting it's neck around" ... Could you do a video? Download to You Tube than upload here. Continue with the Nutri Drench for both.

I would probably continue the Nutri Drench for a few more days, or use polyvisol, just for insurance that the neck problem doesn't return. I would also use the vitamins on the little one that may be blind, can't hurt - maybe she would go for some hard boiled egg?
Could the bald spot be where she is resting up against a heat source? Sorry, that's all ideas I have!

No it came out of the egg like that. Definitely will keep adding the nutrients.

The first pic looks like the spine ^ .... Run you finger gently down the back, does the bald spot feel like it's "raised"? Pooper looks fine, to clean a pasty butt, use warm water with Q Tip or warm wet cloth instead of a "bath". Chick will chill, guess you could blow dry on low.

Not understanding about the second chick "twisting it's neck around" ... Could you do a video? Download to You Tube than upload here. Continue with the Nutri Drench for both.

I tried a warm wet cotton pad but it was too dry and crusty. I’m not sure it was poo, might have been from the egg. I did dry him with blow dryer best I could - down keeps falling out!

I’ll try a video of the eating issue.

Did you check the spine, is the "bald" spot on the back "pointy" instead of inline ?
Did you hatch your own eggs or are they purchased eggs or were they under a broody?

Sorry I neglected to respond to this. The bald spots were on either side of the spine which felt normal (nurse here) and I’m assuming it would be at the lower part of the back before the abdomen protrudes so maybe this is normal?? Several of the other ones similar to this ones breed have little bald spots too but they are starting to feather out now so I think we are OK.

And someone gave me hatching eggs from their hens for science class. Only 14/51 hatched properly.

Both the blind chick and the chick with the neck problems are doing fabulously! They were all moved to a bigger brooding spot and the little one is finding food just fine and the one with the neck problems is completely normal now!

Glad to hear they are doing well especially for the kiddos in the class. I have a little blind Roo (not so little anymore) he worked so hard to learn how to find food and water by listening to other chicks and learning his environment by liteerally hunt and peck method. I didn't have the heart to cull him. he is doing fabulously even though he has been moved about three times and had to learn different enclosures. I always rattle the food extra loud and feed him is a old small cast iren skillet he can't turn over when he stomps on it. and help him find his water again each time I refill it. I understand his boddy language better than any other chicken I have. if he's hungry he will peck around the pan. if his water has gotten too much stuff in it he lets me know it needs refreshing. and if he want a little love he comes and pecks at the door. He does the cutest little dance on his pan when he gets fresh food. And he is getting roo fiesty as he has matured he crows and fluffs the hackles at the other roos who crow in the coop. (after all he's never seen a roo he couldn't whoop) And not knowing what a hen is he has been seen to mate with air. it is funny and kinda sad too. I'd put a hen or two with him but he gets freaked out if anyone else is moving around him. And I carry him out for sunshine and fresh air since he has really bad agoraphobia But I could never cull him so he gets special consideration in coop situations. He's as sweet as they come. OH he is named Micro Roo as he was as you described half or less in size to his hatch mates.

Back
Top Bottom