Chicks with possible respiratory problems.

KinseyFarm

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
I have several chicks that are having some respiratory issues. First I noticed my cockerel acting lethargic and closing his eyes. He also had mucous in his mouth/beak when I was giving him some poultry cell. He also had some yellow stuff coming from his nostril. I believe he might of had some bubbles in his eyes a few days prior (now looking back). Now I have some pullets that have some wheezing and sneezing along with fluid in their eyes. They are around 11 weeks old. Anyone have any experience or have some advice on what to do? Thank you in advance 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_120242.jpg
    IMG_20200531_120242.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200531_120237.jpg
    IMG_20200531_120237.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 5
Picture off all three chicks not feeling well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_140329.jpg
    IMG_20200531_140329.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 5
1)What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Unsure of breed/11 weeks old
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lack of energy/lethargic, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing/wheezing
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
One day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? 3 birds total
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No signs of trama
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unsure.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Gave them some scrambled eggs (didn't touch) and grower unmedicated crumbles.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Some normal, some a little runny
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have given some poultry cell orally, and baytril in their water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to treat myself if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Washed construction sand in the run and hemp bedding in the hen house.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_140329.jpg
    IMG_20200531_140329.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200531_120242.jpg
    IMG_20200531_120242.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200531_120237.jpg
    IMG_20200531_120237.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 3
Where did these chickens come from? It sounds like you have a respiratory disease going through your flock. Mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG and coryza are common ones. Does the one with yellow nasal drainage smell bad? Bubbles in eyes can be a sign of MG, but a bad odor with thick yellow nasal drainage can be coryza. Can you get antibiotics from your vet? Tylosin can treat MG, and psossibly help to treat coryza, but sulfa antibiotics are best for coryza. Were these chickens exposed to a new chicken or other poultry within the last days or weeks?

Where did these chickens come from? It sounds like you have a respiratory disease going through your flock. Mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG and coryza are common ones. Does the one with yellow nasal drainage smell bad? Bubbles in eyes can be a sign of MG, but a bad odor with thick yellow nasal drainage can be coryza. Can you get antibiotics from your vet? Tylosin can treat MG, and psossibly help to treat coryza, but sulfa antibiotics are best for coryza. Were these chickens exposed to a new chicken or other poultry within the last days or weeks?
These chickens came from McMurray hatchery. My chickens free range and are around the neighbors chickens all day. I did introduce 2 new chicks about a week ago that I purchased from Red Barn, which I believe uspurchased through a hatchery. My neighbors chickens have or have had some "cold like symptoms". I understand chickens can pass things amoug each other but my question is, should it be something I should be concerned with or give them anything for it? Or should I let it just run its course?

I would stop letting them around the neighbor's chickens for now, at least while you wait for this to pass. You wouldn't want either flock passing something to the other. I would recommend fresh herbs for respiratory health (basil, mint, oregano, lemon balm, echinacea, thyme, lavender, etc.) as well as some electrolytes and apple cider vinegar in their water to boost their overall health. Sand can often cause a plethora of diseases for chickens to occur so I would recommend switching to plain shavings.

I would stop letting them around the neighbor's chickens for now, at least while you wait for this to pass. You wouldn't want either flock passing something to the other. I would recommend fresh herbs for respiratory health (basil, mint, oregano, lemon balm, echinacea, thyme, lavender, etc.) as well as some electrolytes and apple cider vinegar in their water to boost their overall health. Sand can often cause a plethora of diseases for chickens to occur so I would recommend switching to plain shavings.
I have used shavings and it was not easily cleaned and harbored so many flies. I did my research and people have had much success with sand. It is not play sand but construction sand, so not fine at all to give the possibility to impacted crops. I do give most of those herbs you mentioned to my chickens.
As to the neighbors chickens. They free range, as so mine, so it would be near impossible to contain each separate flock as I do not want all my chickens cooped up and neither does my neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom