Chicks with runny nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by agnewcoop, Aug 24, 2016.

1. agnewcoop

agnewcoop Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Missouri
    My mother in law got 6 buff Orpington chicks that are around 8-10 weeks old a couple of weeks ago.
    Some of them have a clear nose drainage, occasionally sneeze and I can hear a tiny noise when they breath.
    She said they are eating, drinking and very active and symptoms don't seem to be getting any worse.
    I have read about Coryza having a smell associated with it and I am not sure what that smell is like but these babies stink!
    If it's Coryza would they be getting worse instead of staying the same?
    Any advise I can give her would be great.
    They are very sweet chickens and like to jump up in her lap so she is pretty attached already.

2. chicks n roses

chicks n roses Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    not sure for corzya but tylan 50 injectable is the vip for respiratory problems it is an aitibiotic available at tractor supply i gave 1-4 of a cc to 8 week old chick for 4 days and no more runny nose or whistling nouses but and a big but i do not think it covers corzya and the tell tale sign is that smell. good luck

3. agnewcoop

agnewcoop Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advise. She is alone for a few days and new to chickens so she doesn't feel like she will be able to do the injection.

4. chicks n roses

chicks n roses Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    there is a water soluble powder to put tylan powder in the search area at top of screen and u will see lots of posts by the way the dose is around1/4 pf a cc not 1-4 cc just in case anyone takes it that way.goodluck,godspeed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by