Chicks Won't Dry....need advice!

t42366

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Philpot, KY
I had 22 chicks to hatch Sunday. I removed them yesterday and put them in the brooder. I had 2 more to hatch on Monday night, both seemed to have a long hard time getting out of the shell. They are both up and walking around but will not dry out and fluff up and I am scared to move them the way they are. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help, this is my first hatch in years!

Have you let the humidity decrease in the incubator?
smile.png

Quote:
I haven't yet because there are still 10 eggs in there that have not hatched, didnt want to harm them.

Quote:
I suspect the humidity has stopped them drying out which as you say cannot be helped as you have other eggs. Out of interest was their hard time hatching due to sticky membranes?
I've had this before when the humidity was a tad too high, they had a hard hatch and the sticky stuff dried to them making them look wet still I ended up trying to pick the hard bits off and fluffing them out under the brooder lamp it sort of flaked off when I brushed their feathers in the wrong direction if any of that made sense lol
smile.png

I am in the middle of a rolling hatch. It started on Oct1 and should finish on sunday. What I am doin is after the chick hatches I give it a few,3ish, hours to recover and then I put them in the brooder. In my brooder at one end it is like 93-95F plus the other chicks help fluff the newcomer
smile.png
. I just watch for a bit and if they older chicks are too mean i put a divider in for a bit. Thsi has worked so far for me.

Quote:
I suspect the humidity has stopped them drying out which as you say cannot be helped as you have other eggs. Out of interest was their hard time hatching due to sticky membranes?
I've had this before when the humidity was a tad too high, they had a hard hatch and the sticky stuff dried to them making them look wet still I ended up trying to pick the hard bits off and fluffing them out under the brooder lamp it sort of flaked off when I brushed their feathers in the wrong direction if any of that made sense lol
smile.png

Yes, your exactly right. The membrane seemed to stick to them and noe they have that wet, matted look. I will prob try to move them this afternoon then and put them in the brooder. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom