?Chicks wont eat fermented food

lereg

Songster
Jan 22, 2017
Middle Tn
Hey all. I have 10, 2 weeks old chicks that have been eating like crazy. Yesterday I gave them some fermented food, but they won't touch it at all, except for stand in it.

I made the food for 4 days, with just their normal food and water (dechlorinated). I stirred it twice a day, then gave it to them. Did I do something wrong, or are they just picky?
Is there a way to get them to eat it, or does it just take them a while? I'm confused.
Thank you in advance!

I'm no expert but I think 4 days is too long. I've noticed if the feed smells too much they will hardly eat it. Maybe mix it with dry feed and see if that helps, they'll start to get used to it if you add it in slowly.

I'm no expert but I think 4 days is too long. I've noticed if the feed smells too much they will hardly eat it. Maybe mix it with dry feed and see if that helps, they'll start to get used to it if you add it in slowly.
Maybe so, but this was ny first batch. I've read that it's better to start at 4 days, then add food to it and feed every day. Maybe misinformation?

It's normal, chicks can be reluctant to try it. Hope you didn't make too much! I give the chicks access to it and if they don't want it, my hens will eat it. If you don't have hens to eat it, just make very small batches until you know the chicks will eat it, so you don't end up tossing a lot of feed out.

Also, 4 days may be a bit long to start with, as that doesn't give you as much leeway to use it up. Anywhere between 1-3 days is more typical.

It's normal, chicks can be reluctant to try it. Hope you didn't make too much! I give the chicks access to it and if they don't want it, my hens will eat it. If you don't have hens to eat it, just make very small batches until you know the chicks will eat it, so you don't end up tossing a lot of feed out.

Also, 4 days may be a bit long to start with, as that doesn't give you as much leeway to use it up. Anywhere between 1-3 days is more typical.
I didn't make much, since I've never done it before, thankfully. ?These are my first chicks, so no hens yet. I'll try a smaller batch this evening and give it to them sooner.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom