Chicks

Erinne

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
North Mississippi
My granddaughter went to TSC and got 4 chicks that were Identified on the bin as Salmon Faverolles. Well I looked them up and the chicks are entirely the wrong color......... so now I have 4 mystery chicks. The chicks are black with grey lines on the back and cream colored faces. They almost look like Astralorps. Pictures attached........Any Ideas as to what they are?

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    492.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

TSC is KNOWN for having their chicks labeled wrong. :duc

Not Australorp, I think.. And definitely not Salmon Faverolle. :hmm

Maybe Silver Laced Wyandotte? But I think I see a straight comb. Some Wyandotte from feed stores do end up with straight comb since the contracted breeders are hiding them in their flock... as breeding all rose combs is said to breed out your fertility. :pop

Thank you for your welcome!! I just looked as several of the wyandotte chick pictures off Google and the coloration and the stripping down the back is very similar. Just got to keep tabs on their growth etc to see if they compare at different stages.
I currently have about 19 chicks in a tub in my bathtub (each of the grands brought me some, not all same variety)........ just waiting for Mississippi to warm up a bit and feathers on chicks to put them on the outside "coop" on my porch with a heat lamp....... then at a much much later date, put them in the run to introduce to our older hens..............

Please explain about the comb comment at the end?

Last edited:
I do not have any idea what breed they are. They might also be some crosses. They look like somewhat like Desi chickens chicks.

But whatever they are they a too cute:love:jumpy:ya

Please explain about the comb comment at the end?
breeding all rose combs is said to breed out your fertility.
It's my understanding that if you keep only rose combs in your flock eventual generations (maybe if line breeding) would become infertile. They would still lay eggs, but essentially shooting blanks.

How a hen can lay eggs and they aren't fertile themselves regardless of male fertilization is beyond me and I'm still learning in that department.

You can also call TSC and ask which hatchery they used and then check that hatchery web site for what their chicks look like to see what's most likely. :)

Hope you will update with pics! ;) :pop

My granddaughter went to TSC and got 4 chicks that were Identified on the bin as Salmon Faverolles. Well I looked them up and the chicks are entirely the wrong color......... so now I have 4 mystery chicks. The chicks are black with grey lines on the back and cream colored faces. They almost look like Astralorps. Pictures attached........Any Ideas as to what they are?

i just got 2 golden laced wyandottes... they look identical to yours at that age. they get so much prettier too! some are very striped in the accents and some are spotted. my favorite specie of chicken. also pretty good layers. TSC has them marked as moderate laying but they lay consistent large browns with the best of them! good luck!

They look like silver laced wyandottes to me. Golden laced wyandottes are much more brown in color as opposed to black. Yours look more black than brown. Please keep us updated with photos! They are so cute! Welcome here!
:frow

It's my understanding that if you keep only rose combs in your flock eventual generations (maybe if line breeding) would become infertile. They would still lay eggs, but essentially shooting blanks.

How a hen can lay eggs and they aren't fertile themselves regardless of male fertilization is beyond me and I'm still learning in that department.

You can also call TSC and ask which hatchery they used and then check that hatchery web site for what their chicks look like to see what's most likely. :)

Hope you will update with pics! ;) :pop

You have confused the snot right out of me. I never heard anything about breeding rose comb chickens and them becoming infertile. Also what does "how a hen can lay eggs and they aren't fertile. . ." statement mean? I'm really confused. Hen's lay unfertile eggs if there is no rooster. It's the rooster that makes them (the egg, not the chicken) fertile. I have a feeling you didn't say exactly what you mean, or I'm just unable to think straight (entirely possible!). I just cleaned my coop, maybe breathing the dust made my brain melt! What are you talking about?
:idunno

I never heard anything about breeding rose comb chickens and them becoming infertile.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3386170/

http://www.rosecombs.com/documents/low_fertility.pdf?page_id=116

Hen's lay unfertile eggs if there is no rooster. It's the rooster that makes them (the egg, not the chicken) fertile.

Here is one example of infertile eggs quoted from another thread...

"This thread is talking about whether the eggs are fertile, not whether the hen is fertile. Even then, laying eggs is not a sign that a hen can produce offspring. A hinny duck, for example, is a sterile cross between a pekin drake and a muscovy female. All offspring are infertile and cannot produce ducklings, but the females will still lay eggs. The eggs however can never become fertile and hatch."

So your statement about infertile eggs not being fertilized by the rooster is probably more accurate... and what I'm talking about would be more about sterility... I suppose. :pop

Your question comes in a timely manor for me... as I have two aging hens throwing blanks. They are laying eggs every other day but still zero development in my incubator. I need to figure out if it's really them who are sterile or if my rooster simply isn't mating those two.

But with one producing body checked eggs... probably time to exit the breeding program. Any insight you might have would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom