chicks

To be safe, your chicks need to be fully feathers to be able to regulate their own body heat. Keep them inside under a regulated heat source until they are fully feathered out.
17 C is cold! Like 62 degrees Farenheit. are you sure you mean that temp in Celsius.
If you do, it is an absolute NO way because your chick will die.

Last edited:
17 C is cold! Like 62 degrees Farenheit. are you sure you mean that temp in Celsius.
If you do, it is an absolute NO way because your chick will die.

They won't die. I felt perfectly fine putting 4 week old chicks into the coop at 48F (8-9C).

OP, I assume the chicks are fairly well feathered out? Have they been fully weaned off heat indoors/in brooder? If so, they should be fine to move out. Your nights are a bit chilly, so make sure the coop isn't leaky/drafty.

They won't die. I felt perfectly fine putting 4 week old chicks into the coop at 48F (8-9C).

OP, I assume the chicks are fairly well feathered out? Have they been fully weaned off heat indoors/in brooder? If so, they should be fine to move out. Your nights are a bit chilly, so make sure the coop isn't leaky/drafty.
Well, I guess your braver than me!
At 5.5 weeks my chicks were not fully feathered yet and not weaned off the heat lamp.
But, living in Florida when its 62 F here, Im wearing a sweat shirt.
But, your speaking with experience with putting 4 week old chicks out in the coop at 48F(8-9) without a heat source. Therefore, I guess 4-9C is really no colder.
Listen to experience and use your best judgement for the climate your in.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom