chicks!

ccm352

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Lansdale PA
I have 7 chicks that are 2.5 weeks old. I have them in a tote for now. Its about 3 feet long by 2 feet wide by about 18" high.. Seems my chicks have developed a knack for jumping out.. any suggestions for a newbie as to a better container or how to contain them better? Thanks

Yes~ But first
welcome-byc.gif
do a search for brooders. Our tote was modified by my Dh. He cut out the inner rectangle of the tote TOP (lid) then put hardware cloth into the hole with rivets. It workes like a charm
love.gif

For the longest time with our first round of chicks, I just used a giant moving box. I closed the top and bottom, but cut an opening in the side. So it was about 2' tall, but the opening was small enough that I could keep it covered. Most of the time I didn't need to - they couldn't jump out. They would roost on the water and stuff but I kept it off to the sides. It was a giant wardrobe box leftover from our move. They went from that to our coop. Must have seemed like a luxury move!! And we kept them in the garage. I attached the light to a floor lamp and would move it up as their temps needed to lower. Worked awesome!

Enjoy your babies.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom