Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigred7469, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bigred7469

bigred7469 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Millington, TN
    The chicks we hatched last weekend are growng like weeds. I was wondering if it would be a good ideal if i would let the chicks be in the back yard for a short time or is it to soon?

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Go for it :) As long as it is sunny and warm out and they have shade and water you can let them outside.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Keep an eye on them in case they get chilled but they will love it outside. Keep in mind at a week old they can get through some very small spaces.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh yeah, they can get through VERY small spaces! Remember half the chick is fluff... They are smaller than they look! I'm sure your chicks will love to go out for a while, but keep them in a covered, properly fenced area if you can. Most of the chickens I've lost to predators were small chicks. And some of those were little escapees who got out of the chick pen...

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The best thing i have ever bought was this small wire pen that is intended for rabbits, guinea pigs etc it has the made the ideal starter pen for chicks, ducklings etc..

Chicks can move ever so fast, no way would i want to be chasing one down in a large space.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by