Chicky Momma Adventures

Kristinanne80

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
I'm excited!! My chicks should be here either tomorrow or wed. I ordered from Meyer Hatchery. So far I have really enjoyed doing business with them. They have excellent customer service And are very open to all my crazy questions lol. Seeing how I am a newbie at raising chickens I really appreciate this quality in them.

I have ordered:
Silver laced Wyandotte
Barred rock
Speckled Sussex
Light brahma
And the Meyer meal maker (free chick)

I decided to have them all receive the vaccine.
(merek's) I also asked them to ship the electrolyte for their water.
I set up their brooder tonight but still need to add some cardboard around the edges so they don't fall thru the sides. Hopefully they come tomorrow so I can post pictures.

Here is a pic of there new home for awhile. Any and all input and advice is always welcome.

Ps. The chick grit won't be till they are older. I was told 6 weeks. Is this correct.

Looks like you are all set up. They only need the grit when you start giving them anything besides their chick starter food. The grit helps them grind up food-the chick starter is easy to digest so no grit is needed if they just have that. Some advise is to always dip their beak in their water as soon as you unpack them-so they get a first drink and know what it is. Use puppy pads or paper towels the first few days then you can use pine shavings (never Cedar chips-they have chemicals that can harm their lungs)-this is because they need to learn what is food and will eat the pine shavings if put in before they know what the food looks like. Watch for poop stuck on their butts (pasty butt). Stick their hiney under warm running water and wash off if you see it. Dry with a tissue. I add Apple Cider Vinegar to my chicks water-just 1/2 t to about 16 oz of water. Helps their digestion and health. If you are using the nipple waterer-make sure you put in a regular waterer for a few days till they work out how to use it.
wink.png
Good luck and enjoy those fluffy butts!

Oh also have a thermometer on the floor under the heat lamp-test the temp before they arrive. They will need about 95 degrees for first week then take off 5 degrees each week. I remember scrambling to make the temp right with my first ones. They were chirping their heads off because they were cold and freaked me out! haha

FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!!!! just got a call from the post office my poor babies got put on the wrong truck when they left the shrewsbury hub. They are trying to figure out what post office they can drop them at. Ugh!! I hope they are ok :-/ stupid USPS :-(

I hope your chicks arrive safely, and soon.

One problem I had with my nipple waterer that I made out of a plastic bottle like that is it did not work when there wasn't a vent hole in the bottle. It would dispense water for a little bit and then quit because it created a vacuum. Once I poked a hole in the bottom of the jar (which is the top when you hang it up like that) it worked fine. I ended up making the hole larger and just filling it up through the bottom. When they got bigger I used a big 96 oz juice bottle for them and cut the whole bottom out for easy filling.

So my chicken littles are headed to leominster ma. So glad we found them. I'll be heading out in a few to get them. They should be there at 330.
Pics to follow :)

Morte: thank you for the advice in the vent hole. I just drilled a small hole :)
Red squirrel: I don't have a thermometer crap :-/ I'll have to get one tomorrow. Or maybe my Inlaws have something. Thank you for that advice.

So my chicken littles are headed to leominster ma. So glad we found them. I'll be heading out in a few to get them. They should be there at 330.
Pics to follow :)

Morte: thank you for the advice in the vent hole. I just drilled a small hole :)
Red squirrel: I don't have a thermometer crap :-/ I'll have to get one tomorrow. Or maybe my Inlaws have something. Thank you for that adviceI
Your Welcome.
wink.png
Oh wow! sooo happy you found them!
wee.gif
Poor little mites. Any thermometer will do-I had a small one that was on a magnet, from my fridge lol. Yes! post some pics pleaseeee! Love seeing fluffy butts-hehe They will let you know if they are cold, they will not stop cheeping loudly-like they are destressed. Lower the heat lamp if that happens-they will sleep under it but should move around in the brooder and come back under the heat lamp when they feel cold.

I hope your chicks arrive safely, and soon.

One problem I had with my nipple waterer that I made out of a plastic bottle like that is it did not work when there wasn't a vent hole in the bottle. It would dispense water for a little bit and then quit because it created a vacuum. Once I poked a hole in the bottom of the jar (which is the top when you hang it up like that) it worked fine. I ended up making the hole larger and just filling it up through the bottom. When they got bigger I used a big 96 oz juice bottle for them and cut the whole bottom out for easy filling.
Haha least someone else did that too! I wondered what the problem was until I read the INSTRUCTIONS!!! lol (thought I had a broken nipple
lau.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom