1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chigger bites! Help?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maizey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Hubby and I have been looking at property to build our dream farm on and I went out to look at one the other day myself. in addition to having a very large cell tower in close proximity [​IMG] , it also had chiggers! I came home and bathed when I saw them on me but didn't get home in time to prevent multiple snacks by the little blighters. [​IMG] I've applied cortisone cream and taken a benadryl but is there something better? It helped but I'm still itchy...and drowsy now too...great. [​IMG]

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Chigger RX and the generic form of Caladrly Clear Lotion. The generic works far better than the actual Caladryl and the Chigger RX will leave a cooling feeling that will make it feel better. I walked right into a whole nest of them last summer and had them all the way up to my neck (literally) and that worked best for me. Good luck with the nasty little things.

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I got bazillions of chigger bites last year while picking blackberries. When the itching was unbearable, I would blow hot air from the hair dryer on it; a couple of minutes of pain from the heat and the itch is gone. My doctor said if it happened again to come see her and she could give me an injection to relieve the itch. Chiggerex Plus was the best of the OTC itch remedies for me.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Some suggest clear fingernail polish. After spending time in the woods or grass I slap wintergreen alcohol from my feet to my hips then jump in the shower with a dog shampoo that gets rid of ticks and fleas. Cheaper than Rid-X and have not had chiggers in years.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I must be mistaken but thought chiggers actually embedded themselves into your skin. Least this is what my friends in OH and military told me. I never walked into any myself but friends would use heated needles to drive them out of skin and if serious infestation actually soak area in gasoline to kill them. Buddy was wearing swim shorts so infested area was too sensitive for hot needles [​IMG]

6. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Thats what I thought too...and we always paint the spots with clear nail polish so they die.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Quote:Thats what I thought too...and we always paint the spots with clear nail polish so they die.

Same here! Take a warm bath dabb a little bleach on the area and let it dry, then dot clear fingernail polish on them. You could use colored fingernail polish but then you might look funny with little colored dots all over LOL. Its used to smoother them.

8. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    DEEP HEET! I once had them so bad I was ready to claw my legs off, and was trying everything I had in the medicine cabinet. DH WORKED!

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    If you happened to go to bed with all these chigger bites and didn't take a shower first, you need to wash all of your bedding. Otherwise, you will continue to get new bites. My niece recently went through this same thing. Sorry you're itching.

10. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:Me too. That's why you paint them with fingernail polish, to suffocate them. I only got them once, the day before I went on a week long vaca on lake Cumberland. They itch so bad and look awful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by