CHIKENS WITHOUT FEET!!!!

3DLivestock

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 19, 2018
So this winter has been extremely harsh and caused three out of seven of my chickens to die and two lost their feet due to frostbite, before we could catch it. So I was wondering if there was anything I could do about it to help them get along. Will they be lame for the rest of their lives? Will the be picked on by the other hens?

It has been a very hard year. :hugs

I have seen many posts with horrible frostbite. Several others birds have lost feet too.

Your footless birds will need special care. They likely won't be able to roost.

Are they getting around now? Able to navigate to the food and water easily?

@BantyChooks was it you who had one that had lost most of her toes?
If so can you post any special needs for the footless birds?

It has been a very hard year. :hugs

I have seen many posts with horrible frostbite. Several others birds have lost feet too.

Your footless birds will need special care. They likely won't be able to roost.

Are they getting around now? Able to navigate to the food and water easily?

@BantyChooks was it you who had one that had lost most of her toes?
If so can you post any special needs for the footless birds?
Hi :frow

Yes, I have had a few birds lose most of their toes and one lose a whole foot. At what stage in their recovery are the birds now? Can give more advice once more info is given. Where do you live? I have very cold weather, and still, healthy birds rarely if ever lose whole feet. What's your coop situation?

Show us some picture please. I'm sure a chicken could live without feet, they can live with 1 leg and other crazy injuries... Did the frostbite already heal? If they still have frostbite then you might have to cull them if it is bad enough. If the feet already fell off and they have somehow recovered then they should be fine. To help prevent frostbite you should get a thick perch that the chickens can spread there feet out on. This does all sorts of stuff to help prevent frostbite but i'm not going to explain all that right now because i'm short on time.

So this winter has been extremely harsh and caused three out of seven of my chickens to die and two lost their feet due to frostbite, before we could catch it. So I was wondering if there was anything I could do about it to help them get along. Will they be lame for the rest of their lives? Will the be picked on by the other hens?
:ya :welcome :ya

Hi :frow

Yes, I have had a few birds lose most of their toes and one lose a whole foot. At what stage in their recovery are the birds now? Can give more advice once more info is given. Where do you live? I have very cold weather, and still, healthy birds rarely if ever lose whole feet. What's your coop situation?
I need to fix up my coop and I live in the Iowa

IMG_2475.JPG
IMG_2476.JPG
IMG_2478.JPG
Show us some picture please. I'm sure a chicken could live without feet, they can live with 1 leg and other crazy injuries... Did the frostbite already heal? If they still have frostbite then you might have to cull them if it is bad enough. If the feet already fell off and they have somehow recovered then they should be fine. To help prevent frostbite you should get a thick perch that the chickens can spread there feet out on. This does all sorts of stuff to help prevent frostbite but i'm not going to explain all that right now because i'm short on time.
they are just now learning to walk again, I have them in a heated room. I have to hold them to their water and feed everyday. Oh, and if your wondering what the blue stuff is , it's blue kote the frostbite has healed

Holy heck! Poor chickies one of my chickens lost her toe this winter, but that's not near as serious as the injuries on your chickens. Does it seem like they are learning to walk again? If they're all completely healed but unable to walk at all to get to their food and water, you may need to consider their quality of life. But then again chickens can be pretty dang tough and bounce back from even the most grievous of injuries. I hope the weather improves for you!

Back
Top Bottom