Chilled Chickens

How are they getting wet? If they are getting wet and it is super cold, then that, is certainly what happened. Who old are they? Were there faces pale, and whit when you found them?
Te silkie was eight weeks, te oter two were rescues so i dont know. they weren't wet. I wasn't the one tat found tem, so im not sure about teir faces.

That is decidedly confusing. Why would i want a different pet? Besides, I already have a boxer.

I'm guessing because your chickens had trouble with the cold, and huskies do well with cold.

Personally, I suspect what you really need is either a change to the coop, or a slightly different kind of chicken.

Where do you live?
How cold does it get?

Te silkie was eight weeks, te oter two were rescues so i dont know. they weren't wet. I wasn't the one tat found tem, so im not sure about teir faces.
Really! Silkies need a heat lamp for 16 weeks, before even being able to go outside from time to time! I understand you probably didn't know this, but it is VERY important to do your research. How old are the other hens you have out there? Chickens that young should not be outside in I think you said below 0 temps???

Its been in the 70s over te past week, and it ot down to 20 that one nits. I had no idea. It never ets below freezing very often here. I live in th e sout western US. I tout only once tey ot all teir featers?

Yes, you maybe need to change your breed, to something that is more cold hardy.
Its been in the 70s over te past week, and it ot down to 20 that one nits. I had no idea. It never ets below freezing very often here. I live in th e sout western US. I tout only once tey ot all teir featers?
Yes, but didn't you say they got wet too? Next item, just do more research about who long they need heat. most birds, it is when they get there features, and can start going outside. I am guessing about this but, it would make sense that since Silkies don't get the same feathers as other chickens, and they get more fluff, they need supplemental heat longer, for that reason.

I forot to say.... te silkies are cared for by a hen. Ses a black australorp. They sleep under er every nit and wen they et cold in the day. We call her our nanny hen :)

I forot to say.... te silkies are cared for by a hen. Ses a black australorp. They sleep under er every nit and wen they et cold in the day. We call her our nanny hen :)

Sleeping under a hen should keep them warm enough, which makes the cold ones even more puzzling. I wonder if something disturbed them so they moved around during the night?

Back
Top Bottom