Chillin with my peafowl

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
There is nothing like feeding the peafowl after school. School can be stressful and tiresome and seeing the peafowl afterwards is a big escape. I think for our families animals are a big source of joy and they are great at helping you forget about your stresses. This week was exam week so today I was just so glad all my exams are done! I spent a few hours with the peafowl taking photos, feeding, cleaning the peachick pen and re-arranging it, etc.

Here is Ice. I don't know if I need to put up a blind or something because she feels like she has to pace the peachick pen threatening the peachicks through the fence.

This big girl is Ice's largest peachick. This is the peachick I saved that got soaked in the rain when it was little. What happened is she got grass wrapped around her leg and couldn't move and was stuck out there in the rain. I am glad I saved her because she is turning out to be a very pretty peahen. I am throwing around some names for her. I might name her Missy.

Here is one of her sisters. I am naming this one Snow White. She is photogenic like Ice.

The third peachick of Ice's I didn't get any good pics of. She is a little fierce peachick. She jump kicked one of the white male peachicks that is more than twice her size and it ran away scared.

Damsel's face is looking very yellow orange but the funny thing is I haven't been feeding them corn.

Here is a photo of Alto's back.

Meanwhile in the peachick pen the peacocks have started to display on the perches or on top of the dog box. I am enjoying this new trend. Now all I need is a big pretty dead log in a big pen for them to display on. Peep will hop from one perch to the other all while displaying.

I rarely catch the white peacocks displaying. Normally they seem to wait for me to be out of their pen for a while before they start and normally their displays don't last long. This guy is on top of the dog box.

This is Peep displaying on a perch. I mainly think he displays up there for me. He must be making sure I get a good view of his show.

Here is Peep checking out the new camera. He likes the camera because it has a bunch of stuff on it he can peck at like a strap and a lens cap.

Here is an example of how he begs to be pet. I don't always pet him without him asking most of the time he is the one pecking at my fingers trying to make me pet him. Here he is sticking his head through the fence to get me to pet him.

Right under the beak and near his crest is where he likes to be pet the most.

I let him out of the pen for a little while so he could peck around. He displayed most of the time. I let him out then stayed in the pen to re-arrange some things and when I walked out of the pen and walked to him he ran to my foot making that matting call and he stood on my foot. I thought he was about to mate with my foot. :roll: Well maybe he gets that from the dog...

They look great. I can't wait to start free ranging my last years chicks in the spring. I am curious to see how they handle everything.

I think I'm in love with your boy Peep!
That's a great picture of him pecking at the camera.

Just to show how new I am to peafowl: how do you get them to feel comfortable enough with you that you can pet them?
My most friendly boy will eat out of my hand but if I try to touch him he sends a clear message: Hands Off.

Lovely birds!

I think Peep is going to be a penned bird, but I think I will try to let him out every now and then for fun. Ever since he was a tiny peachick I have been taking him outside for a few hours a day so he is used to me letting him out and then picking him up and putting him back in his pen. He always fusses when I go to pick him up. He makes these irritated squeaking and clucking noises and flaps a bit when I try to pic him up. I pick him up like a dog or a cat and not by the legs. He hates that and really fights if I try that but picking him up like a dog isn't that bad. I just have to hold him close to me so he doesn't try and fly down. He likes to scare me sometimes. One time when he was a little younger he flew on top of the roof of the house and it took forever to get him to come down. I even tried to bribe him down with food.

Great Photos
thumbsup.gif

Beautiful photos.
Peeps has gotten soo soo pretty.
Hey Minxfox,
i noticed on another thread your photos are missing it says ya need to upgrade you account as the picture views hae exceeded your band which, sure don't wanna miss photos of your pretties
barnie.gif

I think I'm in love with your boy Peep!
That's a great picture of him pecking at the camera.

Just to show how new I am to peafowl: how do you get them to feel comfortable enough with you that you can pet them?
My most friendly boy will eat out of my hand but if I try to touch him he sends a clear message: Hands Off.

Lovely birds!
I don't know how I missed your post! Peep is my hand raised peacock. Last year he hatched out on the last day of school. We had to help him out of the egg. We only had two eggs in the incubator and he was the only one that developed. I think since he was alone he became even more attached to me. He would cry when I left the room and the day he hatched I handled him a lot because I was trying to help him straighten out his toes. I would take him out of his little inside pen a lot as a chick and play with him and watch TV with him. He liked to fly up on the back of my chair and perch there. Even when he was really small I would take him outside to walk around and because he is imprinted to me I never had to worry about him running away. I guess just from handling him since he was a chick and because he thinks I am his mommy that is why I can pet him but I don't think all birds will be that way. Some might tolerate being pet but he begs to be pet and sometimes when I try to hand feed him he is more interested in being pet then taking the food out of my hand which to me is really strange. All the peafowl we have bought and the peachicks my peahen is raising will NOT let you pet them. It is just like you said the best you will get is them eating out of your hand and that is about it. I was hopping that if my peafowl saw me petting Peep they would see that I wouldn't hurt them and that being pet is actually nice but even though they have seen me pet him they haven't changed their ways. Some people have bought peafowl that were tame. I think one person bought a peahen that jumps in their lap and lets them pet her. Anyways yeah he is tame because I hatched him out and he was by himself.

Quote:
Beautiful photos.
Peeps has gotten soo soo pretty.
Hey Minxfox,
i noticed on another thread your photos are missing it says ya need to upgrade you account as the picture views hae exceeded your band which, sure don't wanna miss photos of your pretties
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
I know it is horrible! I use photobucket for my photos and because I have a free account on photobucket I have a limited amount of picture views and photos I can have a month. I was uploading a lot of photos recently and photobucket e-mailed me saying I had almost reached my limit for my photos for the month and so I quit uploading photos...Well what I didn't know was that just photo views would make me go over the limit....So when that happens all of my photos are temporarily replaced with that picture. The pictures will come back when my limit is re-set. You see I am on these other forums for the game zoo tycoon 2 where you can build your own zoo and I have been showing pictures of this zoo I recently made in the show and tell section and I guess from too many views it made my limit run out because a lot of people were looking at those photos. I found out my camera has a great video setting so I am working on filming the peafowl so until my photo account is re-set I think I will try and upload something to youtube that is if I can edit the videos using windows movie maker...

Back
Top Bottom