Chinchilla dust mixed with regular dirt

Molliep2

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2018
would it be fine to use chinchilla dust mixed with some dirt as a temporary dust bath? I don’t have much time now to get sand or wood ash

would it be fine to use chinchilla dust mixed with some dirt as a temporary dust bath? I don’t have much time now to get sand or wood ash
Did some googling out of curiosity and could not find the ingredients.
Do you have some of it and does it list the ingredients?

but good ol' plain dirt is FINE.
Ditto Dat^^^

Did some googling out of curiosity and could not find the ingredients.
Do you have some of it and does it list the ingredients?

Ditto Dat^^^
Found this on Amazon..
61XaFhRGlzL._SL1050_.jpg

I have a bag of garden sulphur sitting here as I hear it's a great parasite preventative but haven't tried it yet.
Sulfur is terrible smelling. :sick

Based on my experience I will say it *should* work. I had an adopted pup with mites so bad... ivermevtin and many other vet supervised treatments didn't work until we finally resorted to weekly sulfur (essentially) baths. It worked and she finally got rid of her mange. I probably wouldn't personally used it unless I sense a problem, simply because I don't wanna smell it. But also... so I can use it and prove if it does or doesn't work IF there ACTUALLY is a problem... instead of claiming something works just because I don't have that problem.... Ya, my roof won't leak through that plastic tarp... IF it ain't raining. ;) Thankfully I'm just using that as an example.

I agree, I probably wouldn't wanna breath pumice any more than anything else.

So peat moss... nice stuff. I wonder if works because of acidity or why?? Or what is the reason people like to use it? And is that the same reason behind wood ash? Or what am I missing. :confused:

Sulfur is terrible smelling. :sick

Based on my experience I will say it *should* work. I had an adopted pup with mites so bad... ivermevtin and many other vet supervised treatments didn't work until we finally resorted to weekly sulfur (essentially) baths. It worked and she finally got rid of her mange. I probably wouldn't personally used it unless I sense a problem, simply because I don't wanna smell it. But also... so I can use it and prove if it does or doesn't work IF there ACTUALLY is a problem... instead of claiming something works just because I don't have that problem.... Ya, my roof won't leak through that plastic tarp... IF it ain't raining. ;) Thankfully I'm just using that as an example.

I agree, I probably wouldn't wanna breath pumice any more than anything else.

So peat moss... nice stuff. I wonder if works because of acidity or why?? Or what is the reason people like to use it? And is that the same reason behind wood ash? Or what am I missing. :confused:
I'm saving the sulphur for the covered run I'm finishing up because it didn't sound so indoor friendly. There was even a study, maybe Cornell? Results showed it was actually nearly 100% effective unlike DE. Sounds like it's a great solution.

As for the peat moss, mine found my potting mix tub last summer and went to town. So I figured why not! But I see many people use it so maybe there's a reason. Chicks love it too, softer than sand and its fluffy enough to get alllll over. Not like I was dumb enough to give them a pan of it in my house or anything. :oops: Who could be that dumb right? :he That room may never be really clean again!

Back
Top Bottom