Chinese geese - loud / training

Jkbrigham

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2019
Hello, new geese owner here. (Probably should have started with chickens)

Can you train adult geese ?I know you can train them when they are young for certain things. But unfortunately while we had no issues when they were younger, as they are getting closer to being able to lay eggs they have gotten more aggressive and one reacts loudly to anything and everything. The other one is quiet and relaxed.

I have read posts that highly recommended never having one Chinese goose and I doubt it would go over well with the other being left alone. Short of removing them are there any options? Can you train a goose to just not react to everything? I don't expect them to be quiet all the time or to not react. I know they're animals. And they like to talk ( just like dogs ) But just to try to curb some of the behavior?

I just can't seem to find good information on if you can train adult geese.

Thank you for your time!

Hi, congrats on becoming a new goose parent :)

For starters, separating them will absolutely not fix your issue. The minute you take away the loud one, your quiet calm goose is going to turn into an extremely loud one due to being alone. Unfortunately, geese are loud and there isn’t much that can be done to help it; and Chinese are actually the loudest breed out of all of them. There isn’t anything you can really do about the noise or curiosity. One thing that might help you to know is males are generally louder than females, in my experience at least.

In terms of agression, that definitely could be fixed or at least lessened. There’s tons of tips online, especially in this forum, about how to handle agressive geese. Most importantly, you have to make sure they see you as boss. If you do a quick search on here, I’m sure you’ll find helpful tips. My gander had a phase of agression, but after a bit of “training,” he’s much better and almost never bites anyone anymore.

Good luck with your new geese :) As difficult and naughty as they can be sometimes, they really are wonderful animals!

Hi, congrats on becoming a new goose parent :)

For starters, separating them will absolutely not fix your issue. The minute you take away the loud one, your quiet calm goose is going to turn into an extremely loud one due to being alone. Unfortunately, geese are loud and there isn’t much that can be done to help it; and Chinese are actually the loudest breed out of all of them. There isn’t anything you can really do about the noise or curiosity. One thing that might help you to know is males are generally louder than females, in my experience at least.

In terms of agression, that definitely could be fixed or at least lessened. There’s tons of tips online, especially in this forum, about how to handle agressive geese. Most importantly, you have to make sure they see you as boss. If you do a quick search on here, I’m sure you’ll find helpful tips. My gander had a phase of agression, but after a bit of “training,” he’s much better and almost never bites anyone anymore.

Good luck with your new geese :) As difficult and naughty as they can be sometimes, they really are wonderful animals!

Thank you !

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-sticky-topics-index.497391/#post-6317984 so info in here for goose training. Sounds like your dealing with a gander. They are loud and aggressive especially during breeding season and rearing young. They mate for life. Where are you keeping them?
They mate for life???
We have a large pen for them to stay in at night and during the day they have a nice size area of yard sectioned off with 2 pools we change our regularly

My geese, like other geese, make a lot of noise when Something Exciting is happening .... but they will start to quiet & calm if I'm being quiet and calm. Energy does matter! Especially with young geese who tend to overreact to everything because they don't truly 'know' the world yet.
This makes a lot of sense ! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom