Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

I just checked on the little bantam cochin and there is ANOTHER chick out! One of the "designer" mixes. I've had FIVE hatch!
wee.gif

41679_4thdesignerchickcny.jpg

Another photo of the 5th to hatch:
41679_4thdesignerchickcny-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I think my hatch is almost done.

I decided to try and candle one more time and when I did I could actually see into the BCM eggs They looked dark but low in the shell, so decided to pick and shine a light inside. I had quiters (probably day 13-15)and one scrambled and actually curdled up. YUCK! One Blue egg that was clear and when I picked the second blue up it suddenly pipped!

So I have 3 that hatched today, the 3rd, and my BDay and if this one hatched after midnight I'll have 4, one hatched on the 4th and Bill's BDay. That would work.

Sooooooo............If you go by percent of what developed that gives me a 100% hatch

If you go by how many set....mmmmm.... not so much

BUT!

If you go by the fact that I set 82 eggs for the NYD hatch and got none and set 22 for this hatch and got 4! I HAD A GREAT HATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm back! LOL

Last edited:
Just updating, I did start a thread asking for advise but looks like most people had already gone to bed.

I candled, the only chick I really thought was likely was DIS, perfectly formed, yolk absorbed, never pipped.
sad.png

Which leads me to another question...

I have week old bantam Cochins and Silkies, nothing this week and one hopefully a single LF Brahma hatching next week. What am I going to do with one lonely chick? (assuming it hatches
fl.gif
) Can I add it to the older bantie chicks? I'd assume they won't be kind to the new baby. Should I be looking around to see who might have day olds around that time? I like this idea but doubt DH will.
roll.png

Advise please, never had a single chick before.

quick update now my power is back on. argh!
barnie.gif
can you believe it. Mid hatch and no electricity. Had to move the bator in front of the fire. luckily we had it lit. Rotten weather - 70mph winds took the power out.

But on the amazing side I now have 3 fuzzy butts!
woot.gif

and lots of pips, although a couple are just cracks that dont seem to be progressing so I hope they haven't drowned. I have struggled with high humidity.

off to go coo over my babies and egg on some more. Congratulations everyone and hang in there if you're still waiting.

Terri X

Quote:
If you get a lone chick out of this hatch, it should blend well with week olds. I would definatley stick it in with the week olds. I do it all the time, I mix ages when they are chicks. They seem to be picking, but really they just check out the new one and soon they are all cuddled up. Just try it and watch and make sure the intro goes well.

Quote:
If you get a lone chick out of this hatch, it should blend well with week olds. I would definatley stick it in with the week olds. I do it all the time, I mix ages when they are chicks. They seem to be picking, but really they just check out the new one and soon they are all cuddled up. Just try it and watch and make sure the intro goes well.

Not this hatch, no CNY chicks for me. The hatcher is already cleaned out for the next round.

The LF Brahma is the only one left of the batch due next week. If it hatches it will be will be 2 weeks younger than the banties.

I had planed to put my CNY ones in with the banties but I didn't get any and wondered if two weeks was too big of a gap.

It is unbelievably sad to see only a single egg in the 'bator and the hatcher sitting idle.
sad.png

I'd planed to wait till the Valentines Day hatch to start another batch but I'm itching to put some in now. That egg looks so lonely all by it's self.

EDIT for typo

Last edited:
I went to bed with 7 pips... I woke up to LOTS of cheeping!!! When I looked in the bator, I had two chicks on the shelf liner, one on it's back trying to get it's composure across one egg with it's head in a carton cup and several more pips! Unfortunately, I think I lost another one that pipped through the yolk.. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?!?! Is it something I am doing wrong or is it just one of those things that happen??? I also thought I was going to have to make a shoe for one of the chicks because its toes were curled but when I just checked on it, its toes seems to be straightening out as it gains strength.. I have 3 out, 1 zipping and I THINK 4 more pips.. I will keep y'all updated throughout the day but here are some pics...
smile.png

On a side note, today is my and my husband's 10th wedding anniversary! How wonderful is that!?!
wee.gif
I guess they wanted to give us a gift!!!
lau.gif

Chick #1 and #2
2011-02-04064132.jpg

Chick #3
2011-02-04064146.jpg

Pipped through yolk..
hit.gif

2011-02-04064159.jpg

Another zipping!
2011-02-04064218.jpg

Goddess
jumpy.gif