Chinese or African?

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Is this Gander Chinese or African? I Bought him as a African when he was a day old but now I'm starting to wonder. He stands very upright and has a long neck. He was hatched in April

44401_dsc_7441.jpg

I think he looks like a Chinese... He has a long neck and a small body which makes me think he is a Chinese. Africans are pretty large geese...

Definitely a PQ chinese..... Doesn't have the size of an African, the dewlap, the deep keel, etc. Here is a pic of our ganders of each breed and you will definitely be able to tell the difference there.
100_4669.jpg

Quote:
My other "Africans" must be Chinese too then
hmm.png
isn't it funny how I can buy a trio of "Africans" from one source and a "African" gosling from an other and they all end up being Chinese!

Doubtful on being a hybrid... It would have a larger body and partial dewlap (flap of skin under the chin) if it were a cross. Take a look at this pic. The pair in front are pure white africans. The brown african in the back middle is pure young african but a just mismark because of the white on the chest. The other 2 browns in the back on left and right are african/china crosses. Partial dewlaps, smaller more slender bodies than an african, but still are thicker through the neck.

PICT1129.jpg

I'm also thinking your chinese may be female. The males get a much larger knob on the head. You can kind of see the difference on our trio here. Male is on the front right.

PICT0787.jpg

Hatcheries, esp the big ones that don't specialize in waterfowl like Holderreads, tend to mix up anything with a knob on the head as goslings. Even as adults, many of their stock doesn't even compare to breed standard.

Back
Top Bottom