Chinese quail color variations!e

Theoretically speaking, they all have them as long as they are not white where they should be. Occationally a male will develop them even later than 8 weeks (some have them at 2 weeks) and possibly sometimes they don't get them at all - but I've never experienced it and such a bird would be a freak of nature.

Please note: I did get pooped on from unhelpful finches while getting some half decent photos of the females. :lol:
Here's my normal silver from the side:
View attachment 1332238
My camera likes to enhance colours that aren't really as bright as they seem sometimes. I'm still working on a better photo of the lighter silver.

The silver have the same pattern as the wild type but in grey and the lighter silver still shows the pattern but much lighter.

We haven't got red breasted, blue face, pearl, or whites here. I know combinations of colours/mutations are possible and that affects the patterns on their feathers. I love the blue face ones.

Most males should have the red on their tummy but the red breasteds have a lot more, right up to their chins and up into their wings, and they also have a different bib with a thicker band of black/grey and just a very thin white line under that.

This site shows some caramel females and a silver red breasted: http://button-quail.tripod.com/id4.html

I am trying to get a photo of a chick, female and male in each colour but it's a work in progress.

Here are what I call caramel (top) and cinnamon (bottom):
View attachment 1332249

View attachment 1332250
That's interesting, I thought silvers were one of the colours where you couldn't tell sex by colour, but yours clearly has redish vent feathers and a darker bib than mine do! I wonder if yours has something else in there too or if mine are just female colouring (I've not confirmed either way yet).
I'd love to get a pied/tuxedo one day!

Wow! I thought all silver males had white bibs and red tummy colouring! Can you attach a pic of yours?

Oh really? Thank you, I'm not sure where I read that!
So does that mean every male other than a tuxedo or a white will have some shade of red/pink vent feathers or are there other exceptions?

Yes and I think the silver males usually have a white bib. If you post pics I may be able to tell you what they are :)

Wow! I thought all silver males had white bibs and red tummy colouring! Can you attach a pic of yours?
Sounds like you are correct, mine must be girls! :D
Although my silvers have a more defined bib than JaeG's silver, but not like yours. I can get a pic later when I'm back home

Please note: I did get pooped on from unhelpful finches while getting some half decent photos of the females. :lol:
Here's my normal silver from the side:
View attachment 1332238
My camera likes to enhance colours that aren't really as bright as they seem sometimes. I'm still working on a better photo of the lighter silver.

The silver have the same pattern as the wild type but in grey and the lighter silver still shows the pattern but much lighter.

We haven't got red breasted, blue face, pearl, or whites here. I know combinations of colours/mutations are possible and that affects the patterns on their feathers. I love the blue face ones.

Most males should have the red on their tummy but the red breasteds have a lot more, right up to their chins and up into their wings, and they also have a different bib with a thicker band of black/grey and just a very thin white line under that.

This site shows some caramel females and a silver red breasted: http://button-quail.tripod.com/id4.html

I am trying to get a photo of a chick, female and male in each colour but it's a work in progress.

Here are what I call caramel (top) and cinnamon (bottom):
View attachment 1332249

View attachment 1332250

I know someone in Auckland who had a pure white Chinese quail :)

I've got photos of my girls if that helps - they are all in the aviary at the moment which makes it a lot easier to photograph them. They were taking advantage of me leaving the bird feeder on the ground!
Here's a normal silver at the top, light silver and an ivory:
View attachment 1331916

It's my current theory that that caramel colour at the bottom of the photo has some kind of diluting effect.

These are my brown girls in their three shades:
View attachment 1331921
On the left is the diluted form of the wild colour (exactly the same markings but lacking the blackness of the wild), that's the wild in the middle and a cinnamon on the right.

That's pretty much it for the colours we have in NZ.

This is the best information that I've been able to find in relation to our genetics:
http://aussiebirds.proboards.com/thread/8400/king-quail-mutations
You'll have to scroll down a bit to find the info. I wish he'd included photos!

I'm wondering if Bronze is what he calls the dilute colour as that's appeared in my birds because of that caramel colour.

I saw your listing on trade me :) Gorgeous quail!

F6E179EC-89C5-40E5-A7AF-D1919718F93E.jpeg
82AA4460-9D01-48CF-8AE6-16182D28E4B1.jpeg
Also here’s pics of one of my quail, what color is she? She never moulted the white, unlike her sister. Sorry it’s hard to get pics that properly show up her color!
AD4D4405-12C6-4D65-8D7A-ABFFD9FF3D29.jpeg

Attachments

• DC14EAE3-D6D6-4C0C-BBEB-0017C233AE49.jpeg
    DC14EAE3-D6D6-4C0C-BBEB-0017C233AE49.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 12
View attachment 1371796 View attachment 1371797 Also here’s pics of one of my quail, what color is she? She never moulted the white, unlike her sister. Sorry it’s hard to get pics that properly show up her color! View attachment 1371795

Sorry - I haven't been on in nearly a week. We are knuckling down to get our house all painted finally (the prep work seems to take forever).

Your girl does look like the caramel colour to me. Sure wish you were a little closer as I've managed to breed three caramel males. One I'm keeping as he isn't related to mine but the other two are so I'll have to find homes for them. It's my favourite colour, although I do love all their colours!

Sorry - I haven't been on in nearly a week. We are knuckling down to get our house all painted finally (the prep work seems to take forever).

Your girl does look like the caramel colour to me. Sure wish you were a little closer as I've managed to breed three caramel males. One I'm keeping as he isn't related to mine but the other two are so I'll have to find homes for them. It's my favourite colour, although I do love all their colours!

Oh that’s all good!

Thank you! I’m hoping she is a caramel then :)

Yes they are gorgeous! I can’t really fit any more quail at the moment tho lol although would be nice to have some more caramel :)

Back
Top Bottom