1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chipmunk versus rat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Donna R Raybon, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    For years we had cats, lots of cats. So, no mice, rats, chipmunks. Old age and coyotes took out the cats about five years ago. Then, I ended up with an OEG bantam rooster who hates cats. We tried a kitten and Poppy made it quite clear, not in his house!

So, the rodent population had to be controlled with bait, traps. We live a little over a mile from county landfill, so vigilance about rats is a must. Up until this summer I would rarely see a chipmunk, but often saw a rat. Now, over last three months I have not seen any rats, not even 'field' rats. But, there must be two dozen chimpmunks on the place!

Now I know Guinea pig will kill a rat. But, have chipmunks run all the rats off? That would be great as chimpmunks don't get in coop or bother eggs/birds. None of bait being taken either. I have it in building where only rat would access.

2. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Very observant of you...most people would not even notice these details.

I would say that something has happened to reduce or eliminate the rat population, and allowed the chipmunks to move in.

Between the two species, the rat is going to be the more aggressive.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by