Chipmunks!

FrannyLW

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Central NJ
did so many searches and still no answers. I took care of the chicken side, but the ducks? They eat out of a shallow bowl. I thought they were eating alot turned out the chipmunks are stuffing it away! I don't know what to do. I tried using the bucket method to "trap" the munks but they hop out. I read about feeding the ducks and taking it away but really, I have time to freshen the water buckets in the morning before work, I can't wait for them to finish their breakfast. They are used to having their food ready. This morning I just gave them a little food instead of the usual scoop I have been giving them. I also ready putting corn in feeders so the chipmunks eat that instead of duck food, but I think they would probably eat both? Any other suggestions?

I've read of putting corn in a bucket of water, so the water completely covers the corn, for ducks or geese. They can reach under the water to eat, but something like a chipmunk cannot.

I know corn is not a complete diet, but I wonder if the same method would work for the food you are using? The food will absorb water and swell, so it would take a lot of water to keep it covered, but ducks do have long necks 🤔

I've read of putting corn in a bucket of water, so the water completely covers the corn, for ducks or geese. They can reach under the water to eat, but something like a chipmunk cannot.

I know corn is not a complete diet, but I wonder if the same method would work for the food you are using? The food will absorb water and swell, so it would take a lot of water to keep it covered, but ducks do have long necks 🤔
I use Mazuri, which I believe can be used in the water. Now, my ducks have been eating dry in a bowl for 3 years now, will they change???? Maybe I will do a tryout later, and see if they eat the food from the water. But the food will become mushy, (what they don't eat) My Kanye is a small duck, no long necks like the girls.

Attachments

• Kanye2.jpg
    Kanye2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I feed my ducks at night and in the morning but in the morning I offer dry food, and left overs from the night before as soup. They were not used to wet food but like it. Perhaps offering your ducks food as a wet soupy dish will work. My problem is rats not chipmunks [I would prefer chipmunks] and the rats don't eat the soupy mix that settles to have water on top

If you don't mind a sloppy mess, how about a waterheater drain pan with a food bowl in the middle? Maybe a chipmunk will brave an inch or two of water....
that might be a solution IF I can have Kanye get to the food. Kanye might be the male, but he's a small guy compared to the girls!

Back
Top Bottom