Chirping but then stopped

ChickenPerson

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2018
Hi its the 21st day of incubation. No pipping. But the power did go out for 5 hours on day 13. Early today i heard chirping. But at night no chirping. Are they really busy at coming out? Are they dead? Or was I hearing things? Please help!

Hi its the 21st day of incubation. No pipping. But the power did go out for 5 hours on day 13. Early today i heard chirping. But at night no chirping. Are they really busy at coming out? Are they dead? Or was I hearing things? Please help!

What species and breed are the eggs?
21 days is just a general guideline for chickens, so they may take a little longer. Have you candled to see how they were doing? What type of incubator are you using, and what temp and humidity did you use throughout the process?

I have a janoel 12 incubator. Temps and humid were OK .well now the humid is a little low. The eggs are Americana and Rhode island red or australorp.

Don't know what you mean by humidity being a little low, but you should raise the humidity a bit in last days. It helps the chick break through that shell. Also, chicks will peep a little, then rest-it's hard work! Hopefully they will "pip" soon! Good luck!

Ok good. I have heard of people leaving eggs in as long as 26 days and they pipped and hatched day 26. So sometimes you just have to give it a little longer and let nature take its course. Hope all goes well with your babies.

Missy

Also-and this might sound a little strange- but when I hatched eggs in the incubator, I would "talk" to them as they were cheeping, pipping, and struggling to get out. I figure a mother hen would do this to encourage those little ones, so I tried to sound like a mother hen-soft and encouraging. And I would keep the hatched chicks in the incubator for awhile (sometimes it was inadvertent, like overnight), because their cheeping also helps the others hatch faster.

Back
Top Bottom