chki hatched 1 hour ago, need info on brooder, no heat lamp , what food

howd I end up hatching one egg

my parents opened up incubator, and the egg was hatched

they closed the incubator again, only one other egg, there is 7 eggs left in there

1 has an external pip, a perice hole thing

temp in incubato 38 not suer wat day it is becaue didnt do it proper

person said if dat 22 , n still didnt open more, need to help it with finer nails

Is this the first time you've ever raised a chick? Very basic article about brooding chicks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/

Newspaper is not ideal because it is slippery and the chick may develop leg problems. Something like paper towels would be safer.

The smoke is bad for it to breathe. You need heat you can control and have it available at all times.

You also need more ventilation in that box. At least one side (like the lid) should be open wire mesh to allow air to flow through and heat to escape. Being too hot will also kill it.

this is first time

paper towels, ok cool , we got the lid open abit

heres a pic

also one side of box theres 4 small holes, other side 3 holes

also I think my mum wants to hold in her hands

im guesing it wants to be warm, coz hididng near the bowel, in the pic

its good inside my mums hands?

Attachments

• 20200919_172732[1].jpg
    20200919_172732[1].jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200919_172954[1].jpg
    20200919_172954[1].jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200919_172959[1].jpg
    20200919_172959[1].jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 3
Chick care isn't complicated, just critical :) read through the article rosemary suggested, it's a great start. It's not terribly complicated to raise them up from little fluffballs, but there are some important steps to save yourself from heartbreak.

Do you have a thermometer you could set by your brooder box? You can set your brooder by the fire, but it will be hard to know how far you need to set your box for the right amount of heat if you've never raised a chick in a brooder before. Keep an eye out for pasty butt!

Belatedly, congratulations on your success with hatching! I know we'll do our best to help you! :jumpy

just cclosed the door of the fire place

the chik moving around abit in the brooder
Ok so if the chick can reach the food and water then it's fine and if the chick moves closer to the end of the fireplace it's to cold and if it moves away it's to hot it will chirp if it is too uncomfortable

Add marbles or small clean stones to the water so the chick doesn’t drown. They can literally fall face first and drown when they are small.
see if you are able to get a second chick somewhere, local feed store, craigslist? Little chicks don’t do well by themselves. He or she needs at least one more buddy.😊

Back
Top Bottom