Chloey is making a nest!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NYRIR, Mar 4, 2012.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I was so excited tonight...my DD was locking in the birds for me tonight and said Chloey is acting funny....and she thinks she might be making a nest! I go outside and sure enough...she is making a nest under one of the chicken coops!

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't think they will be fertile yet however, since her mate is mating...backwards and pulling her feathers out on her behind...hopefully he will get it right soon....LOL...but until then,we'll just have BIG breakfast eggs [​IMG]

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Great news and they're both doing all the right things - sounds like it wont be too long now before you get eggs. With a little more experience Im sure your gander will get the right idea [​IMG]

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Lol...I hope so...I don't want Chloey to be bare butt!

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have goose eggs!!! 3 of them [​IMG]

5. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Congratulations and I'll bet you're very excited [​IMG]

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I am, I had no idea how solid they would feel. Those are like rocks!
    I have a question for you, since you are so knowledgeable about geese....I want to pick your brain [​IMG]

Chloey was given to me as a Toulouse.She is production,not Dewlap,but the other goose I have (the male) looks a lot like her except his eye ring is bright orange...Chloey's eye ring color is more like a pale fleshy color....what is the difference in the two? He could be a cross...

If you look in my photo album, Chloey is the goose I had to cauterize her eye ring for a blood blister type thing...this did not effect the color of it...here is a link to that thread...for some reason my laptop won't upload the pic for you...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ey-eye-bleeding-pic-updated-post-surgery-pics

You had commented in this thread, maybe you remember her?

7. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi, yes I do remember that episode with her eye. They both appear as Toulouse despite the difference in the eye ring colour which should be orange. However there is variation and even more so among younger birds. I have yearling males with bright orange beaks and eye rings and some with paler. Im sure it;ll even out but its also an indicator of diet and health. Birds raised on grass often hasving the deeper orange colour.

Pete

8. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ahhhh...ok. She was raised on grass last year but only for the latter part of summer.Belive it or not, I got her from a girl who had the two geese in NYC!!
    Needless to say, Chloey is very happy here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by