1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Laced Blue?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oldschoolchick, Dec 3, 2011.

1. oldschoolchick

oldschoolchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    is it genetically possible to have a Blue bird that is also laced with chocolate color?

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: There is 'Blue laced' which looks black laced blue, but is just a blue chicken with a Pattern gene and the lacing cannot be diluted by chocolate separately from the groundcolor (blue).

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Both chocolate, dun, and blue are all diluters of black so in a sense it would be like black laced black. Either one or the other or in the case of dun and blue you can combine them for platinum

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    What does it look like when there is blue and chocolate on the same bird? or can that happen?

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It cannot happen.

the lacing cannot be diluted by chocolate separately from the groundcolor (blue).​

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Well when dun and blue are both there for platinum you can find pics on the sumatra thread, Jeremy has pics of his cockerel there. I dont know what the true sexlinked recessive chocolate and blue look like in the same bird, I dont know if it has been done here in the US yet

7. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    The next question might be why?......jk
    just dont know how attractive that would look with all of that dilution......could just looked like washed out poop imo

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Dun (I^d/i+) X Blue (Bl/bl) = Platinum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chocolate (choc/choc) X Blue (Bl/bl) = (What the Brits call) Mauve, or Mauve laced. As far as I know this color has not been created in the States yet... I'm working on changing that though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I think the Mauve birds are beautiful, they need a new name though... Mauve just doesn't fit IMO.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by