chocolate mottled

The variety is named chocolate, regardless of whether it is created with the dun gene or with the choc gene. Serama carry both dun and choc, and many do not colour breed them, so knowing what a particular bird actually carries can be tricky. For other breeds, it partially depends on where in the world you are located. There are very few choc birds in the US other than serama. Limited numbers in wyandottes and orpingtons, and htat is about it. Other breeds with chocolate colouring are dun-based.

My Serama are definitely chocolate, not dun. They breed true for sex linked recessive chocolate. I've just started a chocolate Arauacana project pen (large fowl) and they are also recessive chocolate. I hatched black mottled Araucana chicks too that I plan to make chocolate mottled Araucana with as well as chocolate wheaten and chocolate duckwings

Very cool. I have true Choc wyandottes (not dun) and a cage full of mottled d'uccles. I think I might give it a go!

Last edited:
I have a chocolate english bantam orphington roo in with 5 blk mottleds and 1 chocolate mottled cochin hens
And
In another pen I have 3 chocolate english bantam orphington hens with 2 calico roos Cochin roos.
Not sure what ill get but will find out soon as weatger breaks to collect hatchin eggs.

Here is my chocolate colored mottled D'uccle. How can you tell choclate from dun? I carry both. the chocolate is in my seramas, the dun in my OEGB. This bird is too close to D'uccle SOP for it to be a cross. All my intentional crosses has lost their beards and muffs, among other d'uccle attributes. I was figuring it would take all the way up to F5 to get back to standards.
Anyway, here she is.

So, I was looking at a too-often bred black mottled d'uccle hen. She had been bred right into the ground, so I took her in and gave her a sweet smelling bath. She is now cuddling all my new hatchlings in my nice warm bathroom. Since I can now see her feathers, I can see that she has been keeping her feathers nice and shiny, healthy looking. what I also noticed was that she's not black. This is an older hen from one of the hatcheries and she's a dark chocolate. I never really pay attention to my mottleds because they aren't my favorite, but this one has got a beautiful undercoat of milk chocolate and rich, dark chocolate feathers. Now, there is a small amount of green sheen, so that means she IS black. My question is, what diluter colors black, without being completely covered? I'm going to rule out dun and chocolate, because of the incomplete coverage. Would dominant white do that?

Back
Top Bottom