Chocolate Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RioLindoAz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Chicken man 35

Chicken man 35 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Augusta, GA

Pick a chick farms near Greenville Sc. we just got 6 chocolate Orpingtons from them.

2. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Got a few pics of my Chocolate Bantams this weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    I just order 6 Bantam Choc Orpington hatching eggs!!! So excited!!!! My 1st chocolates & my 1st Bantams! Anyone have any pics of bantam next to LF? Would love to be able to show my kids the difference!

4. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I put this request on the breeding forum also. I want to start a small flock of Chocolate Orpingtons. The only breeders I can find that have these birds will only sell straight runs even though they have several different lines they can access. I surely understand selling straight runs because I do also. The difference is simple. Most chickens don't cost as much as rare breeds. If get straight runs without the breeder marking the eggs I risk the almost sure possibility that I could be breeding brother to sister. I am an exotic parrot breeder and know the outcome which will happen sooner or later and I will be weakening my flocks gene pool. Any ideas? Help will be appreciated for SURE!!!!!

5. tandersphoenix

Feb 25, 2011
    Funny, I just took a picture yesterday to show someone how much difference there is between LF and Bantam of mine. Here it is!
    [​IMG]

6. sonderah

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Oh you rock!! Thank you!

7. sonderah

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Even funnier is, I have LF Buffs, & will have Bantam Chocolates, so this pic is perfect!

8. CMLR

CMLR Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I have a question for the experienced chocolate breeders. I have a beautiful LF English 8 month old chocolate pullet. Unfortunately, lost my LF chocolate roos. I have found a couple for sale, but the photos show what appears to me to be red leakage. Ideally, I would avoid these. I see two options: 1) buy chicks and cross my fingers I get a nice roo (and it kills me she would go to waste while I wait) or 2) buy a roo with leakage and after hatching some chicks and growing them out, select future breeders without this trait. What would you do? Is there another option I am not considering? Are you seeing red leakage often with this color? Thanks for any opinions!

9. tandersphoenix

Feb 25, 2011
    Another option may be to find a black split to chocolate. This would help maintain the good chocolate color. The roosters you are seeing maybe starting to lighten up.

10. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    at Morton WA Bird Show I Picked up a Pair of Pet Quality Bantam Chocolate Orps . . . " the Roo is Split to Chocolate [​IMG] Hen Chocolate " .. Chicken Math again ...... now I'm looking for a Bantam Chocolate Hen/Pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by