Chocolate Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RioLindoAz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. yaya1215

yaya1215 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    North Florida
    [​IMG]

Suzierd and skyknight29 like this.
  2. yaya1215

yaya1215 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    North Florida
    [​IMG]
    LF Chocolate roo and mauve hen

Suzierd likes this.
  3. ladybugmama3

ladybugmama3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Antioch Ca
    Hi there I'm new to posing stuff but have been learning soo much from BYC for 8 mos or so . I know nothing about the genetics but fell in love with the Bantam Chocolate Orpington!

My husband drove 4.5 hrs each way to get me some for my 40th bday!! I got 6 eggs and 3- 2 wk old chick. This is my first time around hatching so I want expecting all of them to hatch. Well 4 hatched tues and 1 did today! 1 left but really not sure if it will. We will float tonight. Holy moly I've got my hands full now :) good times though. I know I can not keep the Roos we live in a city so the limit is 10 total hens. Around when will I be able to tell the sex of a bantam?

All the pics here are so pretty. Thanks all for sharing.

4. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    As I've been learning as we go, Most Cockerels ( male ) will get bigger comb first, also have a more Upright stance when most pullets ( females ) have a calmer stance. we have 6 LF hens, : }a growing flock of Bantam Chocolate Orps. trio, growing flock of Silver Seabrights trio, and Sultan mix Roo with his assorted mix of Sillies, red NN, buff Japanese black tailed, and a few chicks going in growing out.pin.

1 person likes this.
  5. skyknight29

skyknight29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2014
    Utah
    Hi! I recently got 3 chocolate orpington chicks (2 cockerels, 1 pullet, 8 weeks old) and I have 2 questions:

1. Two of the three birds have feathered up (one male, one female) and their feathers are a very dark (almost black) color, will they lighten up in color as they get a little older?

2. The cockerel that hasn't feathered up, is this normal? How long does it normally take for Choc. Orps to feather up?

Here are some pics:

Cockerel #1:
    [​IMG]

Cockerel #2:
    [​IMG]

Pullet:
    [​IMG]

Pictures of Their parents (sent to me by the breeder):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any advice, and pics of your own Choc. Orp chicks would help a lot!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. skyknight29

Apr 8, 2014
    Utah
    SO pretty! Is he a LF or a large bantam (4-5 lb)? Do you have any pics of when he was about 8 weeks old?

7. ladybugmama3

Jul 23, 2013
    Antioch Ca
    So beautiful.

8. ladybugmama3

Jul 23, 2013
    Antioch Ca
    Skynight29 how are your babies doing?

9. skyknight29

Apr 8, 2014
    Utah
    They're still growing, but the one cockerel is still WAY behind in feathering up. However, he seems to be the one who is lightest in color. The other 2 (cockerel and pullet) who have feathered nicely still look very, very dark in color, not really black, but also not brown. I have hopes that they'll turn brown as they get older, maybe after they molt once. I still don't know enough about Choc. Orps to know how that works.

10. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Here is my Roo at 20 weeks if that is any help. I will look to see if I have other pictures for you to compare. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by