Chocolate Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RioLindoAz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Choc is recessive though, and will still make 100% chocolate when breeding choc x choc.

Dun is dominant, and when Dun x Dun is bred, like blue, you get 50% dun, 25% black, and 25% khaki (homozygous dun)

I'd consider them quite different because even Lavender when bred over and over will destroy feather quality over time. But we still use it, we still breed it to black now and then like blue, so, it's still legit.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Um... so, how do you get a Chocolate in the first place?

Perhaps I need a "Genetics for Dummies" book. I'm trying SO hard to understand this.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I believe Chocolate, like Lavender, just suddenly popped up. Since then it has never popped up before, so all Chocs are related to the originals, however I believe in Seramas that isn't the case. (they may have also had their own choc fluke that happened, which all choc Seramas have been bred from)

4. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Hi All,
    Are there any new sources for Chocolate Orpingtons?
    JAC

5. pampered_poultry

pampered_poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    We have the large fowl and the bantams. We imported from Orpingtons Galore in the UK.

Thanks,
    Richard

6. informative

informative Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    greenfire is charging $100 per chick last I checked - that's crazy. I like chickens but $100 should buy like 10-50 day old chicks or fertile eggs from most other breeder.

Granted I see rare chickens for $10 sometimes and was happy to pay $5.50 for my langshans as an example - is there something very very special about the greenfire stock?

7. jeanbean0213

jeanbean0213 New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    This may be a stupid question however, I am fairly new to the love of poultry. I have an English black Orp that I hatched and he is starting to show a little copper(bleeding through) color at the base of his head and surrounding feathers. Otherwise color is true to form. Does this mean he carries the chocolate gene? Thanks!

8. yaya1215

yaya1215 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    North Florida
    I'm no authority, but I do show and breed black English Orpingtons. Chocolate splits (or roosters carrying the chocolate gene) do not express the chocolate color on their feathers. The only way to know for sure is to breed them to black and see if any resulting chicks hatch out chocolate. More than likely the gold leakage you are seeing is probably from a buff being bred in at some point. Blacks are the basis used to improve just about every color in orpingtons and as a result there are many blacks out there that eventually show color leakage. Hope this helps!

9. gallito1982

gallito1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Boy or girl? He/she is around 2 1/2 weeks oh yeah he/she's a bantam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    OMG! How cute! I want some Bantam Chocolate Orpington!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by