Chocolate Orps have landed in the States!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Now that would be a smart, decent guy. I think importing some birds here then immediately selling eggs/chicks for their high price to whomever is just "profit breeding" - There's no care in it. It doesn't matter if you got some Choc Orps from the top breeder in the UK, you still need to work on breeding your own once they hit the US soil, AND work on getting them more to the USA standard, although that's an opinionated thought, it is a good one. The other of course is to get some diversity going. Breed some blacks in there. Otherwise you're going to be selling and allowing continuous inbreeding.

I agree with you here. It definitely takes some time to establish your flock and breeding program. I'm getting ready to head into year 2 of my breeding program of my Orps that I imported from the UK. Though I have not yet sold a single full English bird (though I have gifted a few to a couple of good friends), I do hope to have some chicks/started pairs available this Spring. I don't, however, have any plans or desire to breed to the USA standard (I agree with Jeremy's smiley here LOL) because I love the English standard - which was why I imported to begin with, it still takes time to establish your program. I have a couple of good friends who breed excellent orps, so I've been very lucky in getting their help and working very closely with them.

I totally agree. If I wanted Orps to the APA SOP, I would get the ones already in here and work on them! I want the English Orps from England, and I want them bred to their standard. I love the English type!

To me it would just be silly to breed these magnificent birds to the US standard... in effect wouldn't that be defeating the very purpose of importing UK bred/type birds in the first place?
hmm.png

I agree Joy, Kathy, Jeremy. I dearly love the English BBS I got from Bama... and looking forward to hatching more English babies this season.

I have to agree with the above. My greatest Desire was UK type when I got mine and no way am I downsizing them

Again, as I said, it is an opinionated trait to go for. I also do agree that UK types should be preserved and loved here, my point was that one should first breed for something before just shelling out the eggs/chicks and piling up the dough.
wink.png

I totally agree with Illilla. It takes time and effort to breed the type in and keep it. Breed for eye color, right combs, size, color and feather quality. Lots of culling

Quote:
Since 06? Wow after 5 years you would think he would be getting pretty comfortable.....

Well if he is trying to make real choc orps it could take awhile to get the fluff down and to get the shape right.

Quote:
Since 06? Wow after 5 years you would think he would be getting pretty comfortable.....

He's working with the CHOC gene in general.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom