Chocolate Orps have landed in the States!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You know I have been hearing that "Chocs have been here for some time" statement for several years....If they are here they must have kept them under lock and key, and did not want to share them with anyone or they are having trouble getting them to reproduce.

I hope that whoever does have them will be unselfish and share them with the rest of the poultry world, there are a lot of poultry people out there that love the Chocolate color and would like to have them running around in the grass at their home too. Hopefully they will be like you when you imported and share their love for the English Orps with other breeders.

Situations like this are probably why a lot of people don't broadcast what they actually have until they are ready.

It looks like you are right......

he's a smart fella and has some USDA Knowledge.. he will be fine, we've gotten some different pic's from him ourselves.. he's on his way now.. our hat's are off to him.. Big congrats
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I know a man in Ohio who imported 7 cockerals in '06. He'll be working on them for the next few years until he feels comfortable releasing them.
smile.png

Quote:
Now that would be a smart, decent guy. I think importing some birds here then immediately selling eggs/chicks for their high price to whomever is just "profit breeding" - There's no care in it. It doesn't matter if you got some Choc Orps from the top breeder in the UK, you still need to work on breeding your own once they hit the US soil, AND work on getting them more to the USA standard, although that's an opinionated thought, it is a good one. The other of course is to get some diversity going. Breed some blacks in there. Otherwise you're going to be selling and allowing continuous inbreeding.

Quote:
Now that would be a smart, decent guy. I think importing some birds here then immediately selling eggs/chicks for their high price to whomever is just "profit breeding" - There's no care in it. It doesn't matter if you got some Choc Orps from the top breeder in the UK, you still need to work on breeding your own once they hit the US soil, AND work on getting them more to the USA standard, although that's an opinionated thought, it is a good one. The other of course is to get some diversity going. Breed some blacks in there. Otherwise you're going to be selling and allowing continuous inbreeding.

I agree with you here. It definitely takes some time to establish your flock and breeding program. I'm getting ready to head into year 2 of my breeding program of my Orps that I imported from the UK. Though I have not yet sold a single full English bird (though I have gifted a few to a couple of good friends), I do hope to have some chicks/started pairs available this Spring. I don't, however, have any plans or desire to breed to the USA standard (I agree with Jeremy's smiley here LOL) because I love the English standard - which was why I imported to begin with, it still takes time to establish your program. I have a couple of good friends who breed excellent orps, so I've been very lucky in getting their help and working very closely with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom