Chocolate Orps have landed in the States!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lildinkem, very cool shade of brown, I like that.
big_smile.png
What color did they turn out to be the other half of the year?
Mine are chocolate all year long, they`re born chocolate,molt and grow back chocolate.
My roos however are not chocolate colored, just the hens.
idunno.gif

Look up Large fowl Chocolate orps, they`re not the same color as the bantams. They`re the color of mine.
yippiechickie.gif

Here`s a LF Chocolate I found online, NOT mine.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/5806_7066_1.jpg

Punky Rooster and OSUman, thanks for your help.
thumbsup.gif

The lighting is terrible in your picture...maybe you could post a pic of your hen in full light so we could actually see its color, I dont think your bird looks anything near the color of the large fowl choc orp picture you found online. Also it would be pretty crazy to get sex linked choc out of a Blue...maybe you would get Dunn...since most Dunn look like a bad colored Blue to me at the shows.

Last edited:
Quote:
Those are prettier than true CHOC Orps.

Funny you say that...I was thinking the same thing...but even as bold as I am, I didn't dare want to be the first one to say it here...lol.

From what I understand, these are not Dun, but true Chocolate. Would be nice to get an extra male and mate to a pen of Wyandotte Bantams. Wonder what would happen if a Chocolate Orpington bantam was mated to a Dun Wyandotte bantam?

My understanding is that they would mix, as dilution genes tend to do when combined.

I'm not positive, though, as CHOC is sexlinked and Dun isn't...

Quote:
Seriously, the chocolate is sex-linked?? Please, explain...

Males need two copies of the gene to appear Chocolate, females need one gene. Males that have one copy are black and are considered splits.

* Chocolate Male X Chocolate Female = 100% Chocolate

* Black Male X Chocolate Female = 50% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 50% Black Females

* Chocolate Male X Black Female = 50% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 50% Chocolate Females

* Black Male carrying Chocolate X Chocolate Female = 25% Chocolate Males, 25% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 25% Chocolate Females, 25% Black Females

* Black Male carrying Chocolate X Black Female = 25% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 25% Black Males, 25% Chocolate Females, 25% Black Females.

You can learn more about CHOC Orps here.

There is one other issue that must be considered. If you plan on showing the Chocolate Orpingtons, they will have to be bred to the American SOP. Since only the bantam was imported, you would also need to AI any Black Orp LF hens. Not sure how many generations it would take to increase the size to qualify as a LF Chocolate Orp. Excess males with good color would be a high price commodity. Since the true Chocolate gene did not exist prior to this import, other breeds will want some for their projects. May be a run on Chocolate like the Self Blues aka Lavenders.

What would you get if you mated a Chocolate with a Dun?

They really don't have to be bred to the American standard to be shown. English Orps can be shown here. As a matter of fact, BamaChicken, a member here, has shown her English Orps and done very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom