Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smoothmule, Mar 29, 2011.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Muffi,
    Thanks, a full sister to T-Roo was a color that looked a lot like a fawn silver. Interesting colors these Serama's
    I'll post when it's more fluffy and feathering out

ETA - the other Truffles chick is hatching right now

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Tiny Birds,
    You never know about crosses but as far as dun goes, genetically there may not be any duns in Serama's but who can prove there isn't since there are so many other genes, some of them all together in one lil Serama so there are probably genes that still haven't been isolated and bred for. There are also combinations of genes that will create a color that can mimic some colors but genetically are just interesting mixes. That's what is more common in Serama's and why I love them so much. NO other breed is so interesting and beautiful and unique. I know I may not have a clue about this chicks color and may not be able to reproduce it at will but the uniqueness is so cool.

Here is a photo of the chick all fluffed up. I'm not so "concerned" about what color it is as I am interested in figuring it out to see if I can reproduce it. In a way, I'd love to get a cool color and make more and in a way, if it's a one of a kind color, that is cool too.

[​IMG]

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Smoothmule, you are so good at hatching, you are in a good position to figure out the dun vs. choc dilemma. Has T-Roo made any pullets with brown instead of black? If you can confirm that he hasn't produced any choc/- pullets , or that Truffles produces brown chicks of either gender regardless of the father, you may be able to confirm dun!

4. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Catwalk,
    "I wish" I could help there but I'm really thinking T-Roo must be carrying chocolate, I can't imagine this chick is anything but chocolate. I came home this evening and the chick has really fluffed up and the down is cleaner and wowowowow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think? These are the first chicks by Truffles and T-Roo that I was sure who they belonged to. Here is the second chick, a full sibling to the one above.

[​IMG]

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:the chick on the right (yellow) is now a silver ginger with yellow legs, just another example of the variety of chicks you get from serama

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Oh my gosh - adorable!!!

7. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    TinyBirds,
    Thanks, I'm hoping for more like these and have quite a few yet to hatch.

8. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    They both look just awsome! i really like the color . wowoowowowowow. [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I am still in shock, I was hoping for some black cockerels that would be chocolate carriers. This just takes the cake [​IMG] It puts me about a year ahead in my breeding plans. We'll see, the goal is for some solid chocolates, the hens won't be so difficult but I'm told that a solid chocolate rooster is just about impossible to get.

10. SunValleySeramas

SunValleySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    ramona, california
    Quote:WOW way to go!! I have to get some updated photos os some of my birds and how they are turning out color wise!! this is exciting!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by