Chook lifting and lowering head.

Dec 25, 2023
I have used this website for years when I wanted to look something up but after many Google searches and not finding my relevant problem I thought I should join this lovely group and make a post.

We are looking after 3 of the chooks from our school during the holidays. One of them hasn't been right for about 30 hours but this morning she was raising and lowering her head in a weird way. She won't walk around, just sits on the ground. They've been here for 10 days and they definitely get a wider variety of diet than the school. The other 2 seem fine.

I've taken a video and hopefully I'll be able to get it to work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
One of them hasn't been right for about 30 hours but this morning she was raising and lowering her head in a weird way. She won't walk around, just sits on the ground. They've been here for 10 days and they definitely get a wider variety of diet than the school.
She's in a bad way and looks like she may not make it.

When was her last egg?
Is she pooping?
What does her crop feel like?

Will she take sips of sugar water or electrolytes if you hold it to her beak?

Hi, Handful of Chickens. Under your name it says "Hatching," not "Songster." That tells me you're new to Backyard Chickens. So I tapped your name and it tells me you just joined today, so :frow howdy and welcome! And Merry Christmas, as well!

She's in a bad way and looks like she may not make it.

When was her last egg?
Is she pooping?
What does her crop feel like?

Will she take sips of sugar water or electrolytes if you hold it to her beak?
Thanks. I've just been out there for a while cuddling her. She has her feet all curled up like what happens when they die.
No idea when her last egg was. We only keep them in the pen at night so they just lay their eggs anywhere on our farm. She's been sitting in that box since about 9 this morning and there still wasn't any poo at 4.15. I gently put a finger in her vent to see if I could feel an egg but just a big spray of liquid poo came out. Her crop seems quite OK. Doesn't want anything to drink. Judging by her body language I think she'll be dead within an hour.

Back
Top Bottom