Chook pecking herself

Jane Mac

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
I have a young chook that is pecking herself really badly. She has a huge bare patch on her back that is red raw looking. I know she is not being pecked by other chooks as she sleeps in a separate cage with only one other chook (a very gentle Frizzle who I am sure is not doing it) and they all free range during the day. Plus I have seen her do it. How can I stop her doing this? Is it worth wrapping a bandage around her over the injured area?

I have a young chook that is pecking herself really badly. She has a huge bare patch on her back that is red raw looking. I know she is not being pecked by other chooks as she sleeps in a separate cage with only one other chook (a very gentle Frizzle who I am sure is not doing it) and they all free range during the day. Plus I have seen her do it. How can I stop her doing this? Is it worth wrapping a bandage around her over the injured area?
20201204_10372515.jpg

It's always worth trying to help, yes. She's obviously got some kind of issue going on. Either there is something irritating the skin that is compelling her to peck at herself or she's experiencing some kind of stress event & this is her way of dealing with it.

Maybe bring her inside & examine the area. Are there mites or chicken lice on her? Is the skin broken? Try cleaning the area with some soap & water then apply an antibacterial ointment (without topical pain reliever, ie plain Neosporin) & do try to apply a bandage or chicken saddle (if I'm understanding where the problem is.)

Back
Top Bottom