Chooks Fighting

They are pekins (small) there is only 3 of them and are free range. They only come in the coop at night. And that particular coop made by byc is said to be suitable for up to 5 hens. They have plenty of room

A lot of people have posted their coops with the title Taj Mahal. Doesn't help narrow it down. 
As far as space, you need a minimum of 4 sq ft of coop space per bird, or more if your birds are particularly active or large.

I Googled it. It's only 2.5 x 3 ft, very tiny. Even the manufacturer says up to 4 chickens, it would be too small for 4 bantams. Yes, lack of space in coop does cause stress and pecking.

Thank you, however I did say I have 3 bantam hens in that coop and they only use it at night when they are sleeping and free range in the day.
I do have another hen, a silky but she is in a different isolation aviary.
So I don't really think the space would be a problem as they free range all day (we have 7 acres)but let me know what you think. I have separated the bully going on two weeks, it seems none of the hens have really gone broody yet but that could be a factor.

Okay update: Its been two weeks and as soon as we let the bully out she went straight to peck the little hen....
The problem with isolation is she was still in sight of the two hens but locked in a separate cage. I wanted to move her away but there wasn't many places I could hide her where i can still keep an eye on her. Also I hate to keep her away too long as the isolation cage is tiny but I have nowhere else! I dont know what to do...

Oh no, we don't cull, they are our pets! And we didn't hatch them we bought them as older chicks. The little one never seemed weak, when we first put her in with the other two bigger chicks she was the one to boss them around. Now I just don't know what's happened. I will work something out. Thanks anyway

Did you introduce this chick by herself? In other words you had two of them and then you introduced the little one? Was there a big age difference? Even if you get them the exact same day if there is an age difference it can affect them. At least that's what I've noticed with mine.
I bought three chicks on the same day from the feed store, but one was probably a week younger and then the other two. That one is now the bottom of the pecking order in my flock of 12. I think just that weeks difference makes a big deal and where she ended up in the pecking order.
I've only had chickens for going on three years now so I could be totally wrong I'm just saying what I have noticed with mine. I know nothing about your kind of chicken. I have heard that if some chickens have still had feathers and others don't that the ones with the head feathers will get picked out.
I guess in your situation I would either get a rooster and hope that he can keep order, or possibly even get two or three new checks and when you introduce them the order in the flock will change. And it will keep the one from being picked on.
But you will need a bigger coop if you're going to do that. You can get away with a smaller coop when they only go into lay eggs or roost. But you will definitely need a bigger coop if you get more chickens.
Does a lot of the bullying to go on at night? Maybe you need more roost space so she can roost away from the other two. I don't know I'm just throwing things out there to consider.

Hi there Wild-Star I am sorry that your girls are still giving you grief.

My flock is mixed age, two just under 4 years [one of which is Pekin], one just under 3 years [Pekin], one 2.5 year old [Pekin Frizzle] and one 1.5 year old.

As I mentioned on my earlier post, broodiness and hormones cause them to become antsy and pick on each other at times but on the whole, they get along fine.

However, just in the last couple of weeks, for no apparent reason, the 1.5 year old has decided that she does not want to be bottom of the order any more and managed to work her way up by picking on and demoting the just under 3 year old. However, the Pekin Frizzle did not submit so easily and there was a lot of chest bumping, raised hackles and scrapping.

Eventually the Pekin Frizzle gave up but now, the 1.5 year old is not content with her submission and continues to pick on her but does not pick on the previously dominated 3 year old.

The Frizzle kept her distance from the flock for a while and spent more time on the deck with her human dad than with the flock but just in the last couple of days she has gone back to spending more time with the flock. The youngster still chases her off occasionally but things have settled down a little now. We do intervene with the occasional verbal scalding [which they respond to] or gentle squirt with a water pistol when needed.

At roost time, they all roost together like nothing has happened.

All very confusing I know, but basically it goes to show that even the friendliest flock can go through changes.

My advice, give them lots of room and unless blood is drawn again, leave them to it, they will work it out. Or, if all else fails [previous suggestions], you may be able to find a new home for the bully. I know it is upsetting to consider rehoming one of your pets but if they are causing you and the flock stress, it may be for the best. However, if going down that path, please let the new owner know why you are rehoming her. In a new flock she may not behave badly.

Back
Top Bottom