Choose one: zucchini or yellow squash

If you could grow only for forever which would you choose: zucchini or yellow squash?

• Total voters

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to narrow down what I grow in order to save seeds. If you had to choose only one to grow forever, which would you choose? Yellow squash or zucchini?

Unfortunately I’ve no motivation to practice hand pollination, at least not currently. I’ll only grow one variety of onion (yellow of Parma), one variety of lettuce (ice queen), and beets (golden boy). Beans are relatively low risk for cross pollination. I will grow two varieties of tomatoes but can isolate, for the sake of seed preservation, up to three plants in my green house and alternate growing years since seeds can last for 3-4 years. I haven’t figured out how I want to manage saving seeds for peppers as I love color variety. Same with carrots and my winter squash.

Last edited:
I don't know if this follows for squash but when considering any fruit or vegetable, the standard philosophy, the darker the fruit or vegetable, the more nutritious. Whether that be green, red, purple or whatever.

To save seeds or save space?
I think with the saving seeds they mean to grow their own seeds next year rather than buying again next year. If they cross pollinate this year it isn't a problem unless you try to plant those seeds again next year, then you have a weird hybrid.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on them, I'm going to be growing both next year because I haven't grown either yet.

I like to grow both but if you have to choose just one...
Yellow straightneck is very tasty & better for casseroles...
Black beauty zucchini is wonderful in a stir fry or in zucchini bread...
Since this is backyard chickens I think the chickens should get a vote too & my pullets love green zucchini but don't at all like yellow squash!
Funny story, I sat some yellow and green down to close my gate and the chickens were lightening fast. They went straight for the yellow! They won that day! I grew black beauty this year and it has been quite prolific!

I like yellow better because it is much easier to see the squashes, i.e., they're less ikely to be hidden and turn into giants lurking beneath the leaves.
I have 4 plants of each, and have had several zucchini monsters that got away from me, while none of the yellows have.

Would you care to share your recipe? I’m not a fan of eggplant but I’m sure I could find an alternative or omit it.

It's far more of a method than a recipe. But here goes.

Start with an eggplant (it really is pretty important so I'd at least give it a try; all these flavors are going to meld together so, for you, this could be a love it or hate it thing). Cut off the stem and blossom ends, cube it, place the pieces in a strainer and salt them generously. Let them sit over the sink overnight.

Take a couple zucchini and do the same.

These are robust bite sized cubes, mind you.

Next day, get a large or a couple medium size onions and cut them into bite size pieces. Caramelize them. I do that in the oven stirring them every 15 minutes or so. (And when I do them for ratatouille I also do a bunch to have in the fridge for other things like burgers and grilled cheese sammies.) When they're golden and jammy, set them aside.

Take a couple red and/or yellow bell peppers. Core them and cut them into bite size pieces. Put them in pan/baking sheet you did the onion in and roast them until they're browned and soft. Set them aside.

If you're using fresh tomatoes, plunge them in boiling water to peel them. Remove the cores. Squeeze out the juice and seeds but save them. Roughly chop the solid parts. If you don't want to do all that or if you want to make this in the cold months (I always do!) get some good canned or boxed diced or crushed tomatoes. Put them in a shallow pan with lots of chopped garlic -- you'll know how much is "garlic-y" for your family.

Now get some fresh basil. Lots of it. pull off the leaves and chop them. Gather the stems and tie them together in a bundle. Save the chopped leaves. Put the stem bundle in the pan with the tomatoes and garlic. Simmer them slowly until they lose some of their moisture and get fragrant. Salt to taste. Take out the bundle of basil stems.

At the same time, take that eggplant and zucchini that have given up most of their moisture and pat the surfaces dry. Brown them -- separately -- in olive oil. You can do this by roasting them in the oven, sautéing them or deep frying them in about 2" of hot olive oil. Your choice. I do them all at different times to get variety in the character of each batch. Toss the browned veggies with a little salt. Set them aside.

Now you've got cooked eggplant, zucchini, onions, and bell pepper ready to assemble. Into a deep heavy casserole (you want slow gentle heat) goes the eggplant, spoon over it a layer of onions. Sprinkle with some herbes de Provence and chopped basil. Add the zucchini and cover that with a layer of onions. Sprinkle with some herbes de Provence and chopped basil.. Layer on the peppers. Top with onions and some more herbes and basil. Pour over the tomato mixture. If you feel like it's needed, strain the seeds out of the tomato water and add as much as feels good to you. You're looking to end up with a substantial "stew" of veggies -- not too runny and not dried out.

Put the casserole in a 325˚ oven for 30-40 minutes or so until it's steamy but your tomatoes still have a nice color. Plunge a spoon down to the bottom to serve.

There are lots of ways to serve ratatouille. As an entrée it's great with polenta or rice or noodles. I like it with crumbled sharp Feta or goat cheese. My husband likes Parm. The very French way to serve it is with a poached egg with a runny yolk on top. It's good cold as a salad. It makes a great "sauce" for fish. It's great as a veggie with grilled meat. It's great with eggs in the morning. I make a brunch dish with individual casseroles of ratatouille topped by polenta topped with more ratatouille and bake that with an egg and cheese on top. You can assemble a bunch of these in advance and bake them on a baking sheet for impressive presentation. You can also use it as a "sauce" with fresh veggies.

For the soupe au pistou you just take whatever you have left, add chicken broth to make a soup. Throw in whatever veggies you have at hand or thing it needs. Heat it through to cook whatever fresh veggies you added and when you serve it serve it with a generous spoonful of pistou (which is the French version of pesto).

I learned the peasant way but if you go online you can find much fancier versions where the veggies are carefully arranged instead of going in the casserole. When you glam it up, it gets called a byaldi. (And that's the Thomas Keller version that the Disney movie Ratatouille was inspired by.)

It's not a fast meal. That's why when I make it I make a big batch. But it's great and you can enjoy it for a week.

Last edited:
My seeds are a natural catastrophe. I need to just dump my loose seeds in a spare corner and see what I get! probably a lot of beets, lettuce, carrots, and dill. It seems I spill those seeds the most.
I have carrot seeds in the carpet of my car... and no... I'm not going to do as someone suggested and water my carpet to see what comes up...lol

I like to grow both but if you have to choose just one...
Yellow straightneck is very tasty & better for casseroles...
Black beauty zucchini is wonderful in a stir fry or in zucchini bread...
Since this is backyard chickens I think the chickens should get a vote too & my pullets love green zucchini but don't at all like yellow squash!

Neither. I’ve gotten so many of both that I’m sick of looking at them. They are all going to the birds now.
Same! Birds or my coworkers. I made a mammoth mistake in planting seven plants. I only wanted five but two were for a friend and she changed her mind so I planted them anyways. Next year I'm going to plant two patty pan and a zucchini and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom