Choose one: zucchini or yellow squash

If you could grow only for forever which would you choose: zucchini or yellow squash?

• Total voters

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to narrow down what I grow in order to save seeds. If you had to choose only one to grow forever, which would you choose? Yellow squash or zucchini?

Unfortunately I’ve no motivation to practice hand pollination, at least not currently. I’ll only grow one variety of onion (yellow of Parma), one variety of lettuce (ice queen), and beets (golden boy). Beans are relatively low risk for cross pollination. I will grow two varieties of tomatoes but can isolate, for the sake of seed preservation, up to three plants in my green house and alternate growing years since seeds can last for 3-4 years. I haven’t figured out how I want to manage saving seeds for peppers as I love color variety. Same with carrots and my winter squash.

Last edited:
I don't know if this follows for squash but when considering any fruit or vegetable, the standard philosophy, the darker the fruit or vegetable, the more nutritious. Whether that be green, red, purple or whatever.

To save seeds or save space?

I don't know if this follows for squash but when considering any fruit or vegetable, the standard philosophy, the darker the fruit or vegetable, the more nutritious. Whether that be green, red, purple or whatever.

I think with the saving seeds they mean to grow their own seeds next year rather than buying again next year. If they cross pollinate this year it isn't a problem unless you try to plant those seeds again next year, then you have a weird hybrid.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on them, I'm going to be growing both next year because I haven't grown either yet.

I'm kind of zucchini'd out, so I'll go with...drumroll... Scallop Squash (Patty Pan)! In my opinion, THE only summer squash needed.
But have you tried baking with patty pan? Full disclosure, I’ve never tried baking with yellow squash but have heard it can be interchangeable. For the excitement value I’d say patty pan wins all the way!

Last edited:
I like to grow both but if you have to choose just one...
Yellow straightneck is very tasty & better for casseroles...
Black beauty zucchini is wonderful in a stir fry or in zucchini bread...
Since this is backyard chickens I think the chickens should get a vote too & my pullets love green zucchini but don't at all like yellow squash!

To save seeds!
I'm kind of zucchini'd out, so I'll go with...drumroll... Scallop Squash (Patty Pan)! In my opinion, THE only summer squash needed.
Sorry for second reply but I’m totally zucchinied out too! I Accidentally grew *drumroll* five zucchini plants and two yellow squash. So. Much. Zucchini. I’ve baked everything I can imagine with zucchini, froze some, given it to every neighbor and coworker who will take it, grilled, fried, baked, and made fritters with it. I think I’ve had zucchini for dinner 3-5 times a week! Good news is my chickens LOVE it so I think I’m just going to start tossing it to them.

I like to grow both but if you have to choose just one...
Yellow straightneck is very tasty & better for casseroles...
Black beauty zucchini is wonderful in a stir fry or in zucchini bread...
Since this is backyard chickens I think the chickens should get a vote too & my pullets love green zucchini but don't at all like yellow squash!
Funny story, I sat some yellow and green down to close my gate and the chickens were lightening fast. They went straight for the yellow! They won that day! I grew black beauty this year and it has been quite prolific!

Tough choice!

If I'm just eating summer squash straight I'd prefer yellow crookneck. But, for the most part I use them as an ingredient and that makes the choice so much harder. For ratatouille I want zucchini -- tho I also use straight yellow zucchini for that from time to time. For squash casserole I want the yellow squash.

Personally, I grow both. And hand pollinating squash is about as easy as it could possibly be so why not grown both, hand pollinate the first 3 or 4 from each plant and take your seeds from those squash while the growth is in control and you can keep track of the young squash? Then you could just let things grow out willy nilly getting cross pollinated or not but not collecting any more seed?

Back
Top Bottom