Choose one: zucchini or yellow squash

If you could grow only for forever which would you choose: zucchini or yellow squash?

• Total voters
This is my first year ever growing any type of winter squash so I've been PUMPED over these pumpkins. I also grew several vines of a large blue pumpkin, but only one vine produce one pumpkin, and it is easily the size of TWO basketballs. The plants are still growing so I'm hoping for one to two more at least. The description said the blue ones were good for carving, eating, and storing. Plus they look beautiful.
I've never had squash of any kind yet. I'll be dorking out about squash next year I'm sure. I have 3 couples that want squash, so I guess I'll go ahead and do the 8 plants and just give away a ton. Might as well, I'm getting a seed pack of each with 25 seeds each so no need to save seeds.

I've never had squash of any kind yet. I'll be dorking out about squash next year I'm sure. I have 3 couples that want squash, so I guess I'll go ahead and do the 8 plants and just give away a ton. Might as well, I'm getting a seed pack of each with 25 seeds each so no need to save seeds.
Yes I've been using the same seed pack for three years now. I only start one seed in each starting cell, and two if I direct sew in the garden. Zucchini is very hearty and prolific! It's nice to be able to share the bounty, and if all else fails, you can freeze it.

Yes I've been using the same seed pack for three years now. I only start one seed in each starting cell, and two if I direct sew in the garden. Zucchini is very hearty and prolific! It's nice to be able to share the bounty, and if all else fails, you can freeze it.
I'm going to get one of those bead organizers that is lots of little jars inside of a case to store my extra seeds. I'll number the lids and make a sheet with all of the details of each seed on it so I will be able to look at my sheet and go, ok, I need #5 and grab that jar and go.

Every time I try to store seeds in their seed packs after the packs are open the seeds manage to get loose and then I have mystery seeds floating around.... I'm hoping the jars will help prevent that.

I'm going to get one of those bead organizers that is lots of little jars inside of a case to store my extra seeds. I'll number the lids and make a sheet with all of the details of each seed on it so I will be able to look at my sheet and go, ok, I need #5 and grab that jar and go.

Every time I try to store seeds in their seed packs after the packs are open the seeds manage to get loose and then I have mystery seeds floating around.... I'm hoping the jars will help prevent that.
My seeds are a natural catastrophe. I need to just dump my loose seeds in a spare corner and see what I get! probably a lot of beets, lettuce, carrots, and dill. It seems I spill those seeds the most.

My seeds are a natural catastrophe. I need to just dump my loose seeds in a spare corner and see what I get! probably a lot of beets, lettuce, carrots, and dill. It seems I spill those seeds the most.
I have carrot seeds in the carpet of my car... and no... I'm not going to do as someone suggested and water my carpet to see what comes up...lol

If the only option is summer squash, then zucchini. I grow the small round French zucchini. Lots of extra feed for chickens and geese. If I can choose any squash, butternut hands down. Can make just about anything with it, chichens and geese love it, My family loves it but best of all it keeps forever in a coolish closet.

If the only option is summer squash, then zucchini. I grow the small round French zucchini. Lots of extra feed for chickens and geese. If I can choose any squash, butternut hands down. Can make just about anything with it, chichens and geese love it, My family loves it but best of all it keeps forever in a coolish closet.
I was thinking only in terms of summer squash. I grew honeynut (a smaller butternut) this year and loved it. Really hoping for a long keeper! I love black bean, butternut squash, and kale soup.

You'll definitely have a ton to give away with that number of plants.

I usually grow 1-2 squash plants a year, with only 2 people (and the chickens) that's still more than we can handle. Last year my plants went in late and I still ended up with lots of leftovers after the season - had squash in the garage hardening for winter, had several lbs shredded squash in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom