Choosing Best Hatcher. What Design/ specification to look for ?

utomo

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2021
There are many egg incubator review or tutorial.
But I can not find many about Hatcher

Anybody can guide me How to choose Best Hatcher. what specification/ function to check
Beside the Temperature and Humidity Controller which is even and Capacity?

Link or Reference also OK

Thank you

Eggs usually hatch in the incubator.

There are some specific cases when a separate hatcher is useful, but most people on this forum are just using incubators instead of specially-made hatchers.

There are many egg incubator review or tutorial.
But I can not find many about Hatcher

Anybody can guide me How to choose Best Hatcher. what specification/ function to check
Beside the Temperature and Humidity Controller which is even and Capacity?

Link or Reference also OK

Thank you
Are you doing staggered hatches or is there some other reason you need a hatcher? I never use one, but there are some nice incubators that can work.
How many eggs are you wanting to have in the hatcher at a time?
You would want to calibrate a separate thermometer and salt test a separate hygrometer to keep inside, the built in ones are very rarely accurate.
@MGG do you have any ideas here?
Thanks for the tag!

Interesting topic.
IDK if I've seen any specifically made hatchers except for GQF cabinet hatchers. Which are really just their incubator with sliding trays instead of trays in a turner.
For what it's worth I use hovabators as my hatchers.

I hate to man the post, but whats the difference between a incubator and a hatcher?

For incubating, eggs need to be kept warm, at the right humidity, and turned regularly.

For hatching, the eggs still need to be warm and at the right humidity, but they should not be turned. As the chicks hatch, they move around and make a mess of sticky stuff and eggshells and bits of down.

Some people put eggs in their incubator every week, and every week they move the ready-to-hatch eggs to a separate hatcher (which might just be a different incubator.) That keeps all the mess in one place, and keeps the chicks from jostling the other eggs as they move around after hatching.

For large cabinet-style incubators, the trays often tilt to turn the eggs. The hatcher versions have trays that do not tilt, and often have covers for the trays so chicks cannot jump out. That could be very handy if someone was hatching different breeds and did not want the chicks mixed up.

For commercial hatcheries, they deal with so many eggs that having separate incubators and hatchers makes lots of sense. They hatch so many eggs every week that it's worth having a special machine for each part of the process.

Back
Top Bottom