Choosing not to increase light for laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gryeyes, Dec 2, 2009.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

So, is it strange of me to not want to supplement daylight with artificial light to increase laying during the winter months?

It's really kind of moot, as my girls won't be ready to lay until early March, anyway.

I live alone, love eggs, but 7 pullets will probably provide me more eggs than I could use (plan on giving some to neighbors, of course, and to my landlady), so I don't NEED to boost production.

But will there be folks on BYC who will look at me askance for letting long dark nights in the coop stay dark NEXT winter, letting my ladies produce fewer eggs than they could pump out with increased illumination?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    i don't give mine artificial light. I'm pretty sure lots of people don't. I figure they need the break if that's what they do naturally.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Nope, personal decision. Several of us keep extra light to a minimum in the winter months.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't add light. I think their bodies need the break. Plus, I have 1 girl molting right now. Hopefully they will all get through their molts, and they'll be back in the egg laying business by spring.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I learned from Speckled Hen, I do not give extra light. Now I will put a sixty watt bulb over their waterer when the temps drop below freezing. They need a break and right now they are laying over a dozen eggs per day for me. I cannot seem to sell any right now either! I only charge one dollar per doz. due to the going rate around here.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

No extra light here either. Mine are 8 months old and giving me an egg a day, even without any additional light so far. I agree with letting nature take it's course and letting them take a break.

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I don't add light because:
    A.I think they need a break and
    B. because we have to run about 4 electric cords to hook up a light

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I learned from the best too, Speckled Hen and Tuffoldhen. I purposely chose a good winter laying breed because of it. I'm getting 8 - 9 eggs a day from my 13 hens right now and I don't add light. [​IMG]
    Don't let anyone guilt you into doing something for your birds. Do what feels right for you!

9. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    No added light for me. Keeping it as natural as possible. That said, my BO continues to lay even in these dark days. [​IMG]

10. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I'm not doing light- I figure God knew what he was doing, who am I to mess with it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by